Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you recover missing photos from iphoto library?

I created separate iPhoto libraries some time ago to manage the size of the iphoto library on my laptop.... Now i have tried to retrieve photos from one of the older iphoto library... and it said I needed to "update" the library because it was created on an older verision. It opens just fine, and I see all of the photos there but when I click on a photo a big exclamation point in a triangle appears. What has happened to my photos? I thought the photos were all contained within the library???

Help please!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Feb 8, 2014 12:43 PM

5 replies

Feb 8, 2014 3:17 PM in response to Brandi Mahon

The cause of the issue is likely to be the wireless connection.

Download iPhoto Library Managerand use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

How do you recover missing photos from iphoto library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.