Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts on Mavericks 10.9.1 is slow and not adding new contacts. Can anyone assist with a fix?

Can anyone assist? For the past week I have been unable to add new contacts to the application and am having to input them manually. It takes a while too, as the app has sloed down tremendously.

I have around 1900 contacts in there but can't imagine that is the reason?

Can anyone assist in whether I can fix the problem or update anything? Or suggest an alternative contacts application?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 8, 2014 1:52 PM

7 replies

Aug 20, 2014 6:16 PM in response to hmarkos

I had a similar issue as you did -- for a few weeks now I've been suffering through agonizingly slow Contacts performance.

The way I resolved it was:

1) Quit Contacts

2) Go to system preferences and go into iCloud, then uncheck contacts -- choosing to delete from mac.

3) Go into system preferences and to Internet Accounts and again uncheck contacts under any of the accounts it's enabled on (gmail, yahoo, etc).

4) Go to your user's library folder (easiest way is to open a finder window, hold down the option key on the keyboard and from the Go menu, select Library).

5) Delete anything referring to Address book or com.apple.address book.... -- check these folders in particular:

- Address Book

- Application Support

- Caches

- Preferences

6) Restart your computer

7) Go back into System preferences and enable contacts from wherever you want (iCloud, etc.)

8) If it's not quite enabling (appears to enable, but checkbox doesn't show), then do one more restart of the computer.

9) Now open Contacts and allow it to sync

May 15, 2015 1:54 PM in response to wizdomonwheels

I have had this problem for over a month. Apple throws in 30 day free support on the Yosemite upgrade however the price of "free" has been painful.

Hours on the phone with various Advisors and hours at the Genius Bar to NO avail. They kept implying my CPU was probably bad but I stuck it out regardless.

The issue even followed when I restored back to Mountain Lion via my Time Machine (a troubleshooting step)

Your post did the trick.

Here is a link to the discussion I started in case this reference benefits anyone searching for a solution.

Thanks wizdomonwheels!

Re: Adding new contact(s) and or editing existing contacts , in OSX Contacts, is slow and takes to long since upgrade to Yosemite

Feb 7, 2016 7:33 PM in response to wizdomonwheels

Hi, Many thanks for your clear suggestion for a fix, however it has not helped me yet. I use an external contacts provider (fruux) as my cardav service and have done for several years. For the last 6 months at least my contacts have become slower and slower and slower to edit on the Mac. No problems on phone at all.

It takes between 10 seconds (contact with barely any info) and 45 seconds (contact with several numbers and email addresses) from clicking "Edit" against a contact to that contact becoming editable when the spinning wheel of colour disappears. And a similar time (not quite so long) from clicking "Done" to the spinning wheel of colour disappearing....

Fast to navigate, but very very slow to edit.

I've now tried switching off the sync, deleting the account from the mac, deleting everything to do with address book from the library, then rebooting and re-setting up the account three times ... to no avail.

Any other suggestions?

(I have approx 2000 contacts in my system, all in Fruux).

cheers Rowan

PS, I'm running El Capitan, 10.11.3, 16GB of RAM

Contacts on Mavericks 10.9.1 is slow and not adding new contacts. Can anyone assist with a fix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.