Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please Help: Laptop Black Screen on Boot, HDMI Not Working

This post is regarding a Retina Macbook Pro 15" bought in October 2012 running on OS X Mavericks.

A few days ago, my laptop screen randomly (after I played a game and was just browsing the internet) turned black but the laptop was clearly still on and working. This did not seem to occur due to anything out of the ordinary, and I did not install anything new (I have had gfxCardStatus, but have not been using it; not even sure if it works). After trying to reset SMC and other ideas I saw online, I closed the laptop and opened it again a few minutes later. To my surprise, the screen displayed a very odd mix of green and blue colors on horizontal lines. I shut off the laptop and did it again, and it turned on fine.

Now, whenever I restart my laptop, the screen stays blank while the laptop turns on. I have to close the lid and open it again after a few minutes for it to show the login screen and work properly.

Another, possibly unrelated but coincidentally starting to occur at the same time, is that my laptop will not output through HDMI to my TV anymore. The TV says that there is no input it is receiving from the HDMI cord. To be clear, this worked perfectly fine before the original issue arose. Additionally, the folders and files on my desktop disappeared at some point and reappeared when I was about to relaunch Finder. This has not occured again.

Before I take it to the Apple Store, I decided I wanted to try a clean install of OS X Mavericks and seeing if it is a software issue. I made a USB bootable Mavericks installation drive (following this guide: http://mashable.com/2013/10/23/clean-install-os-x-mavericks/). When I restarted the laptop and held the Option key, the screen remained black and I needed to restart it again and perform the usual to get the screen back on, so that was a failure.

What should I do?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 8, 2014 1:24 PM

8 replies

May 14, 2017 7:11 PM in response to pikador

Hi pikador,

if your NVIDIA card is not displayed like this:

User uploaded file

That would be reason for concern. Try to use gfxcardstatus https://gfx.io/ to see if you can select your NVIDIA card. If you cant select your NVIDIA card use gfx to force the machine to always use the integrated graphics any graphic switching that could cause glitching would then be avoided. This could be a temporary fix.

Try to reinstall your (old) operating system and see if the machine recognizes the NVIDIA card again.

GPU's and CPU's are soldered onto the motherboard (logic board) and can not be individually replaced. The whole logic board would be replaced for a price that can get you a new laptop (albeit it not be a 15" MBP)

Hope this helps!

May 14, 2017 6:31 PM in response to inspirose

Hey,

Is it only 1 tv that the HDMI out is no longer working for or does it fail to output to any screen? Can you still output to screens via thunderbolt? The issue with the volume should be solvable with an SMC reset but given that you have already tried that and it didn't work there may be an underlying problem.

Have you tried to reinstall your operating system using mac osx recovery instead of a USB? How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support.

You could also post an entrecheck report here to see if someone can get a clue out of that https://etrecheck.com/

May 14, 2017 6:55 PM in response to GhonaZ

HI,

Thanks for your advice! You know, I just went to the System Report and noticed that my NVIDIA card is not even showing up under Graphics/Displays, only the integrated chip shows (Intel HD Graphics 4000). This is a 2012 Retina MBP that came with a nice (for that time) NVIDIA card with dedicated VRAM.

So, based on the above, I am concluding that a) my NVIDIA card went kaput, and this is why I am experiencing boot to black screen issues and can't connect to external displays, or b) the drivers for the card somehow got corrupted. I did install Sierra after this issue first occurred and I am guessing my MBP is not detecting the NVIDIA hardware. Which is too bad because this is still a very nice, fast laptop with SSD and 16 GB of RAM that I am using for fairly resource intensive tasks.

Is there a way to have the NVIDIA card/chip replaced? Or does that involve replacing the whole logic board and is very expensive?

Thanks!

Please Help: Laptop Black Screen on Boot, HDMI Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.