5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2014 6:42 PM by ChrisJ4203
DanKinney2367 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

When I delete an email on my iPhone 5s, the same email on the server should also be deleted.  It doesn't.  I must go to my computer and delete it there as well.  This is double the work and sometimes makes things very confusing.  What have I failed to set correctly in my settings menu?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4
  • ChrisJ4203 Level 8 Level 8 (36,155 points)

What kind of email account do you have? Is this POP, IMAP, or Exchange? The type of account makes the solution different.

• DanKinney2367 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

How would I know?  I don't see anything in settings that tells me what kind it is.  Its with comcast.net if that helps.

Yes, that does help, but when you open the mail account at the top of it, you will see it says POP account information.

When mail is accessed by a mail client in POP, the mail is downloaded to the individual local device. If you want to be able to see the mail on both devices, you cannot set it to delete from the server. Deleting the mail from the local inbox does not delete it from the server. You have a choice. You can set one of the devices to remove the mail from the server after being downloaded, but if you pick the mail up from that device first, then it would not be available to the other device. That choice is up to you.

• DanKinney2367 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

It doesn't sound like it is up to me - not if I wish to read my email on both my laptop and my iPhone.  Is there any other way around this?

The only way is to determine which of the devices you are going to access the mail on last, then set that device to delete the mail from the server there. So, if you access mail from the iPhone during the day, then set the computer to pick up the mail when you open it and then delete from the server when you get it on the computer. This is one of the problems with POP mail, but Comcast does not support IMAP. I know, I use them as well, it is an older mail handling.