Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

help with updating and song information

im currently using itunes 11.1.2(i know its the newest .2) and the new update is for .4 and an error comes up.
i see that you should do an uninstall and a reinstall but i wanted to know if this will lose all my songs and thier data (ie i have given everysong a rename and artist rename and lyrics). ive seen you need an itl and xml file but i only have an xml file

im using windows 7 for additional info

i just need help on what to do in this situation.

Windows 7

Posted on Feb 8, 2014 5:56 PM

3 replies

Feb 8, 2014 6:14 PM in response to ictbubba

Let's start with...

The uninstall and reinstall process will preserve your iTunes library and any iOS device backups. You should check your preferences after reinstalling to make sure nothing has changed. Ideally you would backup the library and your other important personal documents and data on a regular basis. See the user tip Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy for a suggested strategy.

And a comprehensive guide to the reinstall process.

The main libray file is iTunes Library.itl though you may see it as iTunes Library. If you've managed to lose it, and have no back up

In the unlikely event that content is missing from the library following the reinstallation of iTunes see Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash or Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device.

And a host of other troubleshooting advice....

tt2

help with updating and song information

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.