Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't activate 5th generation iPod Touch- forgot password.

Hello All,

I hope someone can help me re-activate my 5th generation iPod Touch! Changes ( I don't know what was changed ) were made to my iPod Touch last week because I was visiting my daughter, in another State, and my wifi reception was spotty and intermittent. It would work for a little while and then cut off.

I have Xfinity wifi through Comcast and was using that. My daughter and her boyfriend suggested that I use their wifi service instead. Well, I'm not very computer ( or iPod )

literate so I handed them my iPod and they made some changes via the Settings icon on the home screen and handed the iPod back to me and it worked!

Great! No problems, clear wifi reception!

Now, a week later, I'm back home and I tried to use my iPod but when I turn it on I get the " Hello " screen, in various languages, just like when I bought it, when it just came out, I believe in November of 2012.

(I contacted my daughter but she doesn't know how to fix it. She said that all she did was disconnect me from my Xfinity wifi and connect me to her wifi network and put in her password.)

Then, on the next screen I choose " English ", then " United States ", Then I get " Choose a Wi-Fi Network " screen and I tap on mine. And that's as far as I can get. The next screen is " Activate iPod ". It asks for my Apple ID and Password.

The message under " Activate iPod " says " This iPod is currently linked to an Apple ID (m++++++@icloud.com ). Sign in with the Apple ID that was used to set up this iPod. " And that's where I have no idea what to enter. I don't remember what password I used to set it up. I've changed passwords quite a few times due to friends' recommendations and also because I read that it's a wise thing to do because of security issues. ( yeah, IF you remember the new pw.)

Also, the area next to the words: " Apple ID " is greyed out but it says: " name@icloud.com "

My Apple ID ends in @comcast.net. Does that mean that I set up my iPod using an icloud.com address? I don't remember. Or does it matter which address I type into that field?

I've tried all of the passwords I can remember using into the password field but obviously none of them work. I tried my Apple ID with @comcast.net with those passwords and also the same passwords using the @icloud.com address.

After that I tapped " Activation Help " under the " password " field. There it just tells you that you NEED the password to re-activate it.

Then there's a website listed, which I went to, that again, tells you that if you are the original owner or bought it second hand, whatever, you NEED the password that was used to set it up! Is all of this done so that if someone steals your iPod that they won't be able to use it? If so, that's good, but I DO own it!

I unfortunately cannot find my receipt but I do have the plastic box that it came in. I doubt that many thieves get the box too. ( if that matters )

Also, I purchased it at my local BestBuy store. I would think that they'd have a record of my purchase.

I am totally stumped and frustrated. I didn't know how " addicted " I'd become to that iPod. I listen ( well, used to ) to Christian radio, watch news, documentaries, TED Talks, and listen to music and audio books on it every day. It's the ultimate entertainment and learning device!

Any help in getting it set up again would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you.

Michael K.

iPod touch (5th generation), iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 8, 2014 9:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2017 5:55 PM

There is something wrong with my iPod touch 5th generation I been trying to unlock it and I forgot my Apple ID but I need help with unlocking my iPod

10 replies

Feb 9, 2014 2:40 AM in response to msigk1212

You are running into the activation lock.

iCloud: Find My iPhone Activation Lock in iOS 7

You have to either enter the Apple/iCloud ID and password in order to activate the iPod for use. Or you can try to dissassociate the iPod for that account by:

Find My iPhone Activation Lock: Removing a device from a previous owner’s account

If you can't do that you have a nice, thin but expensive brick

Mar 25, 2015 1:49 AM in response to UltraCraft2503

You said "Llass Ive recently had to reset my ipod to factory settings after some hardware problems. when activating my ipod it insists that i am still linked to my apple id although i removed the device from my apple id. please help"

Just what were yo ding and what is telling you that it linked?

What not enter the Apple ID and PW if that is required?

Oct 16, 2016 6:33 PM in response to msigk1212

My iPod 5th gen is at iOS 9.5 and it keeps telling me that my activation lock is wrong and I've never changed it! I hate this and need help! It sa that my email is something funky and the previous owner has to clear it! I am the prev owner. I bought this brand new it says s•••••@yahoo.con and I never put anything like it on there! Please help I really need it!!!!!

Oct 16, 2016 8:49 PM in response to Soc_bros

Try the following steps:

1. Ask the previous owner to unlock the iPod touch and erase all the data on it.

2. If the iPod wasn't from a previous owner, set it up as a new iPod.

3. Enter the password for the email address. That's the Apple Id.

4. If it keeps telling you that your email is wrong, create a new Apple Id.

5. If you create a new Apple Id, you have to download all your content that you downloaded on your old Apple Id.

6. Contact Apple Support for further assistance if necessary.

Good luck!

Can't activate 5th generation iPod Touch- forgot password.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.