Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iLink 4 to 9 pin to thunderbolt not recognized on my mac

I am trying to import footage from a Sony Walkman player, the GV-D200 using the iLink (firewire DV) port but Final Cut X and iMovie do not "see" the deck or my Digital 8 camcorder.

I am using the 4 pin to 6 pin with thunderbolt adapter to no avail and a trip the genius bar came up empty.

Does anybody have suggestions how to get my rMBP to "see" my deck so I can transfer footage to my hardrive?

I had an older MBP with firewire ports in it and running Final Cut Pro 7, I saw my Sony Digital 8 camcorder no problem, but going up to Mavericks and thunderbolt and USB 3, nothing.

Frustrating, so used to things just working with mac when you plug it in. I need help and answers, anybody out there with some answers?

Thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 9, 2014 1:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2014 4:39 PM

Hello all.

I am unable to add to my situation other than respond to my own post.

Ok, I have an answer. If anybody has purchase a RocketFish cable, the 4pin to 9pin, it is garbage.

I can't speak for other RocketFish cables, but this one in particular, the 4pin to 9pin is just garbage. BAD CABLE.

Go to Radio Shack and get the Gigaware (6ft) 4pin to 9pin cable. The serial number on the back is as follows.

It is: 0 40293 79847 2 It should say RoHs compliant. I bought it and went right to a Best Buy and hooked up my Sony DCR-TVR350 NTSC to a 13inch MBP with a built in firewire 800 port and BAM! There she was!

Then I tried the firewire to thunderbolt into the 13in MBP (the 4pin to 9pin) through the firewire to thunderbolt and BAM! There it was. I used the stores iMovie and it showed up as Sony DCR.

Wow, I should have checked my cables earlier and saved some time and money.

Always, ALWAYS check and confirm the CABLE is bad before buying more equipment.

I hope this has helped someone out there. Good luck my friends.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2014 4:39 PM in response to MacMikey15

Hello all.

I am unable to add to my situation other than respond to my own post.

Ok, I have an answer. If anybody has purchase a RocketFish cable, the 4pin to 9pin, it is garbage.

I can't speak for other RocketFish cables, but this one in particular, the 4pin to 9pin is just garbage. BAD CABLE.

Go to Radio Shack and get the Gigaware (6ft) 4pin to 9pin cable. The serial number on the back is as follows.

It is: 0 40293 79847 2 It should say RoHs compliant. I bought it and went right to a Best Buy and hooked up my Sony DCR-TVR350 NTSC to a 13inch MBP with a built in firewire 800 port and BAM! There she was!

Then I tried the firewire to thunderbolt into the 13in MBP (the 4pin to 9pin) through the firewire to thunderbolt and BAM! There it was. I used the stores iMovie and it showed up as Sony DCR.

Wow, I should have checked my cables earlier and saved some time and money.

Always, ALWAYS check and confirm the CABLE is bad before buying more equipment.

I hope this has helped someone out there. Good luck my friends.

Apr 13, 2014 12:35 AM in response to jbnla

jbnla,

Sorry it took so long to get back and answer your question.

Yes indeed my friend... your SONY GV-200 deck will show up on your iMac. What you need for your thunderbolt ports on your iMac is the Gigaware 4 to 9 pin cable, which Radio Shack carries and then you need the Thunderbolt to firewire adapter which you can get at Best Buy and the Apple store.

See, my SONY Camera and the GV-200 deck have the same 4 pin iLink output, which the cable I just mentioned fits perfectly into and the the other end, the 9pin is your firewire 800 port which fits into the adapter just mentioned, then into your thunderbolt ports and your deck will show up, just as mine did.

It truly is all about the cable and getting the right one.

Hope that helps and assures you it will work and all shall be well.

Enjoy transferring your footage, to preserve those precious memories.

iLink 4 to 9 pin to thunderbolt not recognized on my mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.