Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is apple store stopping bitcoin blockchain support?

Dear Apple store,

A couple weeks ago I bought an iphone. I want to do bitcoin payments with it. I installed blockchain but Apple doesn't want to support bitcoin anymore? This is a wrong step from Apple and this will mean that Apple will be loosing customers. If apple stops supporting bitcoin I will stop using Apple products.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 9, 2014 5:49 AM

15 replies

Feb 9, 2014 11:53 AM in response to Bitcoin

As stated above, your threats mean nothing to us as users of Apple devices.

My best guess for why Apple is not supporting bit coin is because of its questionable legality.

Several countries have come out stating bit coin is not acceptable currency.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/9/5395050/russia-bans-bitcoin

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100923551

Also, there have been thefts:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/7/5386222/a-string-of-thefts-hit-coinbase-bitcoin s-most-reputable-wallet-service

Bit coin is a headache that is best avoided at this point.

Apr 7, 2014 7:35 PM in response to Bitcoin

Me too. Dear Apple. I have had 3 iphones and many other Apple products including ipods and a computer. I WILL NOT buy another Apple device if bitcoin is not supported. It is legal and it is safe. Android has over 10 apps that are working well and properly. I totally support the **** and gambling and other policies.

Now you are messing with my money! That is ridicolous.

Jun 20, 2014 8:30 AM in response to Bitcoin

A few observations:

1. It is not illegal, at least at the moment, to hold, send or receive bitcoin anywhere, including Russia and China. Holding, sending and receiving bitcoin is all the blockchain.info app lets you do.

2. It might be illegal in some countries (like Russia or China) to buy certain things with bitcoin or to exchange bitcoin for fiat currencies, however the blockchain app does not allow users to do those things.

3. Although it is certainly illegal (even in the U.S.) to do certain things with bitcoin (like buying drugs or guns, or laundering money), please note that it is equally illegal to do those things with the paypal app, or with your banking app.

4. You can still use Blockchain.info with your iPhone, through their mobile web interface. However, you will have to trust them with an online wallet.

5. Blockchain is pretty serious about security. I would trust Blockchain's online wallet over some of the offline android wallets that I have seen.

Just my two cents.

Jun 20, 2014 8:47 AM in response to Bitcoin

Oh. And one more thing. Apple will have a much more difficult decision to make if eBay and PayPal follow through on the interest they have expressed in integrating bitcoin into their payment systems. If PayPal and eBay decide to allow bitcoin payments, it will be interesting to see if Apple pulls those apps from the app store, as well.

Jun 20, 2014 11:24 AM in response to pogster

Of course I realize this a user forum. My posts were not directed towards Apple. The first post was in response to the original poster, who seemed to be looking for a legal way to use bitcoin on his iPhone. I gave him advice on how to do that without resorting to jailbreaking.

The second post was simply speculation that Apple may soon be forced to choose between allowing bitcoin functionality in apps, or removing PayPal and eBay from the app store. Certainly that is something that an iPhone user who also uses bitcoin might find interesting or useful.

For the record, I used Apple's feedback "feature" the day after Apple removed the blockchain app from the app store. I never heard back from them. But I'll save the rest of that complaint for another time.

Jun 20, 2014 12:03 PM in response to deggie

deggie wrote:

It clearly states on the feedback site their will be no reply so it is kind of silly to complain about not receiving one.

So it does. It is odd I did not notice that before. But, then, it is also quite silly for them to ask for my email address on the feedback form if they "cannot" (as they put it) respond to the comment.

Thanks for the link to the new bitcoin apps that have actually been approved. I heard rumors that some were coming, but I was not aware the changes had already been made. Other users who stumble across this thread should find your link useful. I hope they bring back the blockchain app.

Why is apple store stopping bitcoin blockchain support?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.