Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Custom MBP Unibody?

I know this sounds really crazy. One day I was on the phone with AppleCare about replacing thermal paste and he mentioned that someone completely replaced the aluminum unibody casing once with a red custom casing. He said that the guy managed to do it successfully which is a good sign. I actually want to give this weird idea a try. I have a lot of experience with disassembly, but I still have doubts about my abilities. Taking out the screen is my big concern, I have zero experience in this category and I'm afraid I'll break something. Also, where in the world would I find the actual custom bodies? I mean yeah I can get some dimensions and make it on Autodesk Inventor and submit it to a company to get it made, but considering the cost of that, I'm kind of iffy on it. What do you guys think about all of this?

MacBook Pro 15" Late 2011

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), Custom

Posted on Feb 9, 2014 8:22 AM

2 replies

Feb 17, 2014 2:02 PM in response to noahfrye

I had my MBP15 customized by Alchaemy http://www.alchaemy.com but black instead of red. I'm pretty comfortable with DIY but I wouldn't try anything on an out of warranty $1500 MBP. Alchaemy doesn't really replace the casing, but they reanodize it, my whole casing looked black, the same way Apple makes the whole casing Grey. So I guess if AppleCare saw it they may think it's a whole new case, but it's rally the same one just recolored. Alchaemy charged me $300 but I got a cyber monday discount, so it was like $270 something. Which isn't bad because if you mess up that screen, that's $300 gone right there. I don't know if they just sell the colored casing, you can email them to see.

Custom MBP Unibody?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.