Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't my iTouch update to iOS 7?

I've discovered some of my iTouch applications no longer update/run as they once did. I suspected this was due to iOS updates as I have iOS 6.1.5 and some of the applications I want to use now indicate they require iOS 7. (Why can't we stop updating for those of us with older devices who don't want to buy a new device?) So, I attempted to update the iOS and my iTouch says I am up to date with 6.1.5. ?? Am I to interpret this to mean I am unable to keep up with new applications (or changes to existing applications which used to function just fine prior to the updates) and that I might as well just delete these applications given my iOS is out of date? Have I got it correctly summerized or is there something I'm missing?

iPod touch, iOS 6.1.5

Posted on Feb 9, 2014 9:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2014 9:29 AM

You have a 4G iPod. As Apple said in June, iOS 7 is not compatible with the 4G iPod.

All the iOS devices compatible (iPhone 4 and later, iPad 2 and later, and 5G iPod touch) with iOS 7 have at least 512 MB of memory (RAM). The 4G iPod only has 256 MB

7 replies

Feb 9, 2014 9:29 AM in response to seanhinckley

It must be a 5G.

See the chart below to determine whether you can upgrade your device and what you can upgrade to. If you do not have a Software Update option present on your iDevice, then you are trying to upgrade to iOS 5 or higher. You will have to connect your device to your computer and open iTunes in order to upgrade.

IPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad iOS Compatibility Chart

Device iOS Verson

iPhone 1 iOS 3.1.3

iPhone 3G iOS 4.2.1

iPhone 3GS iOS 6.1.x

iPhone 4 iOS 7.0.x

iPhone 4S iOS 7.0.x

iPhone 5 iOS 7.0.x

iPhone 5c iOS 7.0.x

iPhone 5s iOS 7.0.x

-------------------------------------------------------

iPod Touch 1 iOS 3.1.3

iPod Touch 2 iOS 4.2.1

iPod Touch 3 iOS 5.1.1

iPod Touch 4 iOS 6.1.x

iPod Touch 5 iOS 7.0.x

-------------------------------------------------------

iPad 1 iOS 5.1.1

iPad 2 iOS 7.0.x

iPad 3 iOS 7.0.x

iPad 4 iOS 7.0.x

iPad Mini iOS 7.0.x

iPad Air iOS 7.0.x

=====================================

Select the method most appropriate for your situation.

Upgrading iOS

1. How to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch

2. iPhone Support

3. iPod Touch Support

4. iPad Support

a. Updating Your iOS from iOS 5

Tap Settings > General > Software Update

If an update is available there will be an active Update button. If you are current,

then you will see a gray screen with a message saying your are up to date.

b. If you are still using iOS 4 — Updating your device to iOS 5 or later.

c. Resolving update problems

1. iOS - Unable to update or restore

2. iOS- Resolving update and restore alert messages

Sep 19, 2016 8:34 AM in response to Kat445

In addition to the low RAM in all of the iPod Touches that are 4th generation and lower, the cpu in many of the much older iDevices is only 1 Ghz and, usually, the speed at which that cpu is running at, in older iDevices, has been clocked down.

Older 4 and 5 year old iPod Touches, iPhones, as well as, iPads are simply NOT up to the task of running even the bare minimum functionality of the the new iOS 10.

Even if older iPod Touch models could, the amount of new features that would be made available to your 4th gen iPod touch would be very minimal and paltry compared the what even newer 1-3 year old iDevice models get for iOS features.

The hardware in your 4 the gen iPod Touch was never as powerful as that found in iPhone 4, that is why some iPhone 4 models were able to go one iOS generation higher and the iPhone 4S maxes out at the last iOS 9.3.5 version, while your 4th generation iPod Touch was halted at iOS 6.1.6.

The only reason the new iPod Touch 6th gen is the only iPod Touch on the list for iOS 10 compatible devices isn't just because it is the newest model, but it is the first iPod Touch model that has truly come closest to matching the hardware specs of a actual iPhone 6 without the phone.

The iPod 6th gen's specs are really much closer to that of a full fledged, bonafide iPhone 6 at half the price!

Why won't my iTouch update to iOS 7?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.