Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to start using Aperture

I am running 10.9.1 on my retina MacBook Pro. Have been using iPhoto with Pixelmator as an Editor but have just purchased Aperture as I understand that it should give me better RAW editing facilities.

After installing Aperture. Now have iPhoto 9.5.1 and Aperture 3.51 which I think are the latest versions. I find that when I go to iPhoto/Preferences/Advances, under Edit Photos I only have as alternatives :

in Pixelmator and

in iPhoto

I also have under RAW photos Use RAW when using external editor and Save edits as 16-bit TIFF settings.

It would be nice to be able to go from iPhoto directly to Aperture.

Also I would like the RAW pictures to be preserved, even if you have to save changes to TIFF, or is this done anyway?

How can I do all this?

Regards Brian.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Feb 9, 2014 10:05 AM

3 replies

Feb 9, 2014 10:32 AM in response to brianfromwallington

brianfromwallington wrote:

Also I would like the RAW pictures to be preserved, even if you have to save changes to TIFF, or is this done anyway?

All Apperture edits and adjustments are non-destructive. You don't have to set any prefs for that.

brianfromwallington wrote:

It would be nice to be able to go from iPhoto directly to Aperture.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Just start using Aperture. Import the RAW files directly into Aperture and leave your other photos right where they are in the iPhoto library. When you want to access them in Aperture pull down File > Switch to Library > iPhoto Library. You use the photos right in Aperture.

How to start using Aperture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.