Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Viewer not visible, Mail can't be quit - OS X 10.9.1

Experiencing this issue - http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2537 - on two different (new) MacBook pros, Mac OS X 10.9.1. Must force quit and restart. Anyone else?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 9, 2014 1:16 PM

11 replies

May 14, 2014 10:58 PM in response to SallyBee YYC

Hi, newbie here. I have just upgraded to mavericks on my imac 10.9.2. At first mail opened and i changed the layout view to classic. i think i then made it full screen, then x'ed it off. Now i just can't view mail? the little light is on under the mail logo in the dock and i can see that i have new mail waiting by the little red circle with the number in. When i click on mail the top bar changes to mail but that is all. i did get to view it a coulpe of times by the method described by Eric above, but now that does not work either. i can not quit mail either? Feeling frustrated.

Dec 2, 2014 3:01 AM in response to colse

Do you mean the whole folder with content? How did you keep your messages? I use imap bu tit does not seem to keep all mail form all of my email addresses. I had this problem on outlook, lost years of mail trying to rebuild the plist, so moved to mail and now have it on mail... I am loathe to delete the mail folder. I can see mail if I use classic view but not preview mode with split windows. But classic mode is too slow with out any preview of the message.

Dec 2, 2014 6:49 AM in response to zhouping

All my mail is imap but obvs there will be mail on your local drive.

I moved the folder to the desktop, which essentially forced Mail to rebuild the mail folder, I then had to add all the email accounts back in and let IMAP do its thing. After that I ditched the old Mail folder. Make sure your mail is IMAP though, it is better and safer longer term.

Mail Viewer not visible, Mail can't be quit - OS X 10.9.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.