Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I restore my Microsoft Word Documents which became Unix Executable Files after my Macbook Pro Crashed?

After my MacBook Pro suddenly crashed, we had Best Buy's Geek Squad attempt to save the files. According to them, they were successful in doing so and put all of the saved files in a folder on my desktop which they labeled "Backup". The problem is, all of the files are in a Unix Executable format. When you double click on any of them, they pull up the terminal and that's it. After researching the issue and trying to grasp what was going on, I learned that you can open these files in Text Edit and sometimes find the file extension (.png .jpeg .amr .qt) that belongs at the end of the filename in order for it to be pulled up. In doing this, I had some success restoring some photos, audio files, and videos. However, no luck at all in restoring any of my Microsoft Word documents or even finding out which Unix Executables are Word documents. I've even tried to add .docx to various files just to see if I would luck out. Nope 😟. Any help would be SO SO greatly appreciated!!!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 9, 2014 1:51 PM

There are no replies.

How can I restore my Microsoft Word Documents which became Unix Executable Files after my Macbook Pro Crashed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.