Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie not importing full 1080 resolution

I've notices that when I import my 1080 HD videos that i've recorded on my iPhone to iMovie, it converts the video to 720p. I don't see a setting that says tells iMove that I want it to import the full quality. I've go the latest version of iMovie 10.0.2 and am very confused why this is not automatically doing this for me. Any suggestions would be fully appreciated.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), iTunes 11

Posted on Feb 9, 2014 1:39 PM

10 replies

Feb 10, 2014 3:08 AM in response to mykewithay

The resolution of an iMovie 10 project cannot be set manually but is determined by the first clip to be added to the project. If your first clip is 1080p then the project should be 1080p. ( iMovie 10 on the Mac definitiely supports 1080p)

Try creating a new project and putting a single 1080p clip into it. then select the project and click Info (above the viewer). It should read 1080p HD. If it reads 720p then your clip must be 720p.

Assuming it reads 1080p you can then copy all of your project that was set to 720p to this new project and it should remain set at 1080p. You can remove that first clip if you need. The shared movie will be 1080p.

Geoff.

Feb 10, 2014 8:04 AM in response to Ben Bloks

Yes, I have verified that the clipp is at 1080P before I import the clip into iMovie. Once I do import the media, if I locate the clip in the iMovie events and then reveal the clip in finder, the clip that was imported by iMovie is now at 720P. So somthing is going on that is taking my 1080P clip and converting it to 720P. I really don't want this to happen. I want it to preserve my 1080P. If you want I can make a small sampel and post the before and after.

Feb 10, 2014 8:52 AM in response to mykewithay

mykewithay wrote:

Yes, I have verified that the clipp is at 1080P before I import the clip into iMovie.

If I may ask, how did you verify.

If I check my clip in the event and use "reveal in finder" it shows 1920x1080 which indicates 1080p.

If I check my project (where the clip is used) in iMovie it shows 1080P.

If your iPhone shoots 1080P are you aware of the fact that the "face-time camera" will only shoot 720P ?

Ben

Feb 10, 2014 9:19 AM in response to Ben Bloks

I went throught and looked at my clips again, and it looks like when I import them to iMovie, the clips are being preserved at 1080P. I must have looked ast a specific clip that was shot at 720P. However, my problem is when I go to share the projecte from iMovie to a File, I can only select the 720P ouput. The 1080P is in the dropdown for size, but is greyed out. I'd like to create my output at 1080P and preserve the size that my clips are in.

iMovie not importing full 1080 resolution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.