Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What kind of graphics card should i get to run final cut pro x on my 2008 mac pro?

What kind of graphics card should i get to run final cut pro x on my 2008 mac pro?

Shake 4

Posted on Feb 9, 2014 6:07 PM

2 replies

Mar 9, 2014 5:39 PM in response to AndresZambrano

Hello Andres. I own an Early Mac Pro 2008, and have had the blessing of using both FCP X & Motion 5 for some time now. This is a pritty open question and it depends on your usage and the throughput nessesary to handle your work load. I can share what my set up is, & it may help you deside if this is enough power for you or help you move in another direction. Keep in mind that the buss speed and cpu are a big part of helping FCP X more so than the video card, although the video card does come into play here as well. Now if you are wanting to run Motion 5 as well, the video card is Almost Everything, and you need the biggest and best situation here that the throughput on this system will except. I'm running 14 gig of system ram, and the video card is an ATI Radeon 5870. For FCP X, running 1920x1280p footage optimised in pro-res 422, she can move along with some render time nessesary when dropping on the timeline, also filters, transistions, titles ex, have a bit of a laps time to render, but then she runs ok. This wait is not as much of a challenge with this set up as with Motion. I need a much bigger gpu on the video card for this app. Not sure if this computers throughput is really worth the upgrade. Beleive this though, Motion is demanding on using ALL you can give it. It is a Genious App, and it also calls for ALL THE POWER YOU CAN GIVE HER IN A VIDEO CARD. Conclution: if you are just starting which it sounds like, even a smaller video card than this can work For FCP X. Make sure you have at least 8 gig of cpu ram. 12 or more will help here. Also make sure the card is OpenCL compadible.....& this is in the thread above,,,,,,,,

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.