Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto 9.5.1 - Hangs on any movie file import - crashes -help!

Hey There Everyone!

I'm working in iphoto 9.5.1 and Mavericks and have been for weeks. However, since my upgrade to Mavericks I've had no luck importing any movie file (.MOV,.mp4) into my library from either my iphone or my T2i Canon. Photos are fine. Videos are not.

I have browsed the boards here and have done the following:

HELD DOWN ALT/OPTION & created a new library. IMPORT STILL HANGS AND CRASHES when trying to import videos

CREATED NEW USER and new library - IMPORT STILL HANGS & CRASHES

HAVE repaired permssions, then deleted app, receipts and re-installed from APP store. Still crashes.

Photos import without any problem. If I have a mix, it imports the photos up until the video, then it's the spinning beach ball of death.

I get a "not responding" (even after an hour) and then I force quit. On re-opening I get: "A photo ahs been found in the iPhoto library that has not been imported. Would you like to import it? " This is always the movie file and when I do this it hangs again. I end up saying no and it's put into a .recovered folder just outside my library.

All other functions seem to be working in Iphoto. Any help anyone has would be great!

Thanks!

Jon

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 9, 2014 6:14 PM

39 replies

Feb 10, 2014 1:22 AM in response to JonBoyEditor

Go to your Pictures Folder and find the iPhoto Library there. Right (or Control-) Click on the icon and select 'Show Package Contents'. A finder window will open with the Library exposed.

Look there for a Folder called 'Import' or 'Importing'.

Drag it to the Desktop. Make no other changes. Start iPhoto. Does that help?

If it does then look inside that folder on your desktop. Does it contain anything you want? If not you can trash the folder.

Feb 10, 2014 5:01 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hey Terence,

Thanks again (and rookie mistake heading for the application! - it's early morning and I was up with a baby - went to the app instead of the library!)

I found the import folder only after repeating a failed import. That eliminates the error message when I open iPhoto (thank you!), but I'm still having issues with the importing of Video. It seems like it's working and then it just hangs. Using your method, I can at least navigate to that Import folder after the fact and yank out the video. (that at least gets it onto my computer) However, it seems like I can't even drag from the desktop to my iPhoto library without my library just hanging. Bringing videos into my iphoto library is impossible right now.

Thanks for eliminating one of the issues though! Cheers.

Jon

Jun 24, 2014 3:21 PM in response to Old Toad

Hey, Old Toad. Thanks for the advice. Actually, I don't have Perian installed. I don't even know what is that. I just took my MacBookPro out of the box, run the update for all the OS X Maverick stuff and started the transfer of my pictures (including videos - .mov, .mpeg, .avi - mostly .mov) from my external hard drive (that was a backup from windows) to iphoto. Just the pictures were included correctly to the iphoto library. The videos are in that IMPORT folder of the iphoto library but every attempt of iphoto to import them (at the startup) are failed. The message says something like "677 itens have been found in the iPhoto library that have not been imported. Would you like to import it?" (but in portuguese cause I use it on this language). I use the iPhoto 9.5.1.

Jun 24, 2014 3:58 PM in response to Old Toad

I did it. The Auto Import folder was empty. But I did the same steps with the Import folder (Import>Master where the videos were). Moved to to the desktop. The error message really disappeared (problem 1 solved). But when I import the itens from the Import folder on the desktop to iPhoto, the itens are included to the library but don't run (an error message appear "OSStatus error -54."). And when the iphoto is closed and started up again, there is the same error message again trying to import the same 677 videos.

Jun 25, 2014 10:47 AM in response to Old Toad

Yes, the videos run normally when I open then from the desktop.

I realized that all those files that were in my external hard drive appeared with the locker sign. When I unlocked them, the situation was partially solved. I mean partially cause I tested with several files, one by one, and all of them were accepted by iPhoto and worked fine. But when I did the massive import with all my video files unlocked (I used the Lunchpad>Applications>Terminal chflags -R nouchg ~/"PATH" to unlock all of them, cause I'm talking about several files inside several separated folders) some of them (~ 400/670) were imported correctly (problem solved) and the others simply weren't imported. An error message said that those files (~ 270/670) were not supported or something like that (even some of them having the same .mov extensions).

iPhoto 9.5.1 - Hangs on any movie file import - crashes -help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.