8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 4, 2014 6:56 AM by cedb
Ronniebel Level 1 Level 1 (85 points)

My wife's MacBook Air is freezing regularly. I reinstalled Mavericks from the Restore (cmd R).  I first erased the hard disk in Disk Utility and then reinstalled Mavericks. Then I restored from a Time Machine backup.  It was okay for about a week or two, but then it began freezing a lot, about 2-3 times a day. My wife has to hold down the power button for several seconds and restart and then get back to work.  It's a mid 2011 model with 4 GB of RAM, 256 GB HD and 1.8GHz.

• Bill Now. Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

You do have a low RAM capacity and you could be using all of it eventhough you might not know it, so that could be the problem. Another problem could be that, this goes for all electrical products by the way, the computer has done that to itself, it's programed to. The reason why is that if they didn't have this feature, Apple would go bankrupt, along with all other companys, because if they lasted forever, you  would have no reason to go the the Apple Store and buy something.

• themachead Level 3 Level 3 (765 points)

Welcome to Apple Discussions

You are compounding the problem with continuing to try to use a failing computer. When you crash the MBD on the SSD can become scrambled - this leads to an increased likely hood of more freezing/crashing. It's a vicious cycle and you need to break out of it.

You need to straighten out the MBD on the SSD (repair your disk) or, if the disk is already too damged to "repair" the MBD you may need a new SSD.

Many things might have kicked off this sequence of events - most likely would be you have low "free" or empty disk space. You should always save 10-20% of the disk size as free space. If you have a 128GB SSD you need to keep 12-24GB empty for VRAM and temporary files or you can get freezing/crashing.  If you have a 64GB drive it would be 7-14GB. If you have less than 10% free space you need to delete some large folders or files until you do.

You could have other issues but start by checking the free space and https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3872781 repairing your SSD first.

• Ronniebel Level 1 Level 1 (85 points)

Thanks for your input. But my wife is not compounding the problem with her MBA. She doesn't want the freezes to happen and she is not causing them. They are just happening and we can't figure out why. Also, I forgot to mention that her wireless card goes off intermittently. She has to pull down and turn it on again. By the way, she does have a lot of applications open at once, about 5-8, and perhaps that is the reason.  Have you heard that this causes freezes?

When you continue to use a failing system you are compounding the problem. I gave you some possible reasons why you are freezing. Please reread my answer once more and take the steps I suggested.

Please only address on issue per thread... it helps eliminate confusion.

Search wifi failure or loss for your new issue.

• Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (164,170 points)

If you have more than one user account, these instructions must be carried out as an administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Step 1

Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left. If you don't see that menu, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

Enter "BOOT_TIME" (without the quotes) in the search box. Note the timestamps of those log messages, which refer to the times when the system was booted. Now clear the search box and scroll back in the log to the last boot time after  you had the problem. Select the messages logged before the boot, while the system was unresponsive or was failing to shut down. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message (command-V). Please include the BOOT_TIME message at the end of the log extract.

If there are runs of repeated messages, post only one example of each. Don’t post many repetitions of the same message.

When posting a log extract, be selective. In most cases, a few dozen lines are more than enough.

Please do not indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Important: Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Step 2

Still in Console, look under System Diagnostic Reports for crash or panic logs, and post the entire contents of the most recent one, if any. In the interest of privacy, I suggest you edit out the “Anonymous UUID,” a long string of letters, numbers, and dashes in the header of the report, if present (it may not be.) Please don’t post any other kind of report — it will be very long and not helpful.

• Ronniebel Level 1 Level 1 (85 points)

Thanks for your input.  The RAM point you make is a possibility. My wife does have a lot of applications open at once, about 6-8, and perhaps that is the reason.  She has Word, Outlook, her calendar, Apple Mail , Excel and often 2-3 other aps open. Have you heard that this can cause freezing on a machine with only 4 GB of RAM?

As for your other point, I don't agree.  I've owned 41 Macs since 1986 and typically the life expentency is about 7-8  years.  An old Titanium MacBook G4 that I bought in 2003 is still running. But this is another subject we can discuss in another thread.

Yes - not closing or quitting applications can cause freezing... especially if the computer is not turned off every so often. There is an application in Utilities called Activity Monitor - it  has a small footprint and will show you how much memory you are using or have unused as you work.

• cedb Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks MacHead, I had this freeze problem and Disk Utility reported "Incorrect number of file hard links". I've repaired the disk as suggested (had to disconnect my thunderbolt display to get Control + R to work) and, hopefully, problem fixed.