Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ghosting retina screen

Hi,

I've just notice that my retina screen is ghosting. Is it normal? Apple says it us but I'm not sur.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 9, 2014 7:40 PM

6 replies

Feb 12, 2014 5:58 AM in response to sachetes

Hello sachetes,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

For more information, take a look at:

Avoiding image persistence on Apple displays

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5455

If you see a persistent image on your screen, you can use the screen saver to eliminate it:

1. From the Apple () menu, choose System Preferences, and then click "Desktop & Screen Saver."
  2. Click the Screen Saver tab.
  3. Choose a screen saver.
  4. Set the "Start screen saver" time to be shorter than the "Display sleep" and "Computer sleep" settings in the Energy Saver pane of System Preferences.
  5. To clear the persistent image, allow the screen saver to run for approximately as long as the image was being displayed.

Have a nice day,

Mario

Feb 12, 2014 6:21 AM in response to sachetes

Kepp in mind using a screensaver won't fix the problem if you start to see ghosting it will only help prevent ghosting from starting. If your display has started to show ghosting then you need to take it to an Apple Store and have them evaluate the problem. If your machine is still under warranty then you may get a display replacement if your Apple Genius thinks the ghosting is severe enough.

Feb 12, 2014 6:58 AM in response to sachetes

cbs20's correct. Image Retention is not normal on a MBP Retina and you should take it in to a local Apple Store for evaluation.

I have a mid-2012 MBP Retina and Image Retention got worse over time. About 6 months ago, I took it in to an Apple Store (still under AppleCare), the tech ran diagnostics and determined the screen needed to be replaced. Since the replacement, I haven't had anymore issues with Image Retention.

Ghosting retina screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.