Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My /space /bar /has /started /to /pPrint /a /forward /slash /each /time /I /use /it /and /the /return /key /works /but /shows /the /sound /icon /on /screen

My wireless keyboard has started printing a forward slash / each time a use it. :"Delete:" works but brings up the volume icon on screen each time. I think I may have accidently pressed keys while cleaning the keyboard /his morning. Is there some way to reset these keys ?

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 9, 2014 9:36 PM

6 replies

Oct 14, 2014 11:24 AM in response to marjfromact

Had a similar issue with a late 2013 iMac and the keyboard that came with it. In this case, the spacebar was giving an = and a space, rather than the /, but the delete key was also bringing up the volume level. The fix that worked:

Turn the keyboard off by holding the power button down (on the right-hand side)

Disconnect the keyboard (via Bluetooth pref pane or in the Bluetooth menu bar)

Remove the batteries from the keyboard, hold down the power button again for five seconds (this may be a rubber chicken move, but I haven't had to test whether that variable helped at all)

Replace batteries, turn on keyboard, let it reconnect to iMac

Problem solved

Feb 10, 2014 1:25 AM in response to marjfromact

Wireless keyboard acts up...?

(Also known to occur on macbook)

Troubleshooting, includes testing with USB keyboard.

Use Keyboard Viewer to help see all bad keys or if

they have somehow been 'reassigned' by magic.

•One or more keys on keyboard to not respond:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1381

•Troubleshooting wireless mouse and keyboard:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3048

Was the keyboard original to the iMac or newer?

You may be in the market for a new one.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Feb 10, 2014 2:44 AM in response to marjfromact

Isn't that so often the case 😀 You didn't say what you used but just in case you decide to clean the keyboard again, here are some notes from Apple.

Apple Aluminum and Plastic Wireless and Wired Keyboards

If your keyboard is wired, first disconnect it from your computer. If it is wireless, power off the keyboard and remove the batteries. To clean the outside of your keyboard, use a lint-free cloth lightly moistened with water. Don't get moisture in any openings or use aerosol sprays, solvents, or abrasives.

And here are notes for general cleaning.

How to clean Apple products

Thank you for the star.

My /space /bar /has /started /to /pPrint /a /forward /slash /each /time /I /use /it /and /the /return /key /works /but /shows /the /sound /icon /on /screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.