Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro boots up really slow

Hello everyone!

I have a couple of issues with my MacBook Pro and I was hoping someone could help me.

It's about a mid-2010 i7 2.66 GHz MacBook Pro, 8 GB ram, running Mavericks.

The problem is as follows:

My MacBook takes between 3 and 6 minutes to boot up. It is the kernel stage that takes really long. The rest is fine. Besides that, the battery is also empty very quickly. After about 1,5 or 2 hours of surfing on the internet, the battery is empty.

I recently put in a new battery because the other one said it should be replaced. I hoped this would fix the battery issue and maybe even the boot up issue, but unfortunately the battery is still empty very quick and the boot up is still slow.

I think the boot up started to get slower around a year ago. It then took like 1 or 2 minutes instead of the couple of seconds it used to take. About half a year ago that boot up time significantly got worse. And I think it may have gotten a little more worse after I installed Mavericks a little less than half a year ago.

Besids that, there are a few more issues. I'm not sure though if they are related to the slow boot up or to the battery.

When I connect or disconnect the adapter to my MacBook Pro, everything freezes for a while. I usually can still move my cursor around, but video or audio freezes and I can't open new windows or something like that. The freezing takes between 30 secs and 2 minutes. This is something that started to happen about a little more than half a year ago I think.

Also, when I try to save something, a document or an image from a website, it takes a while for the Finder-popup to show my folders. It used to immediately show all the folders, but now it takes a while to load them. This is something that started to happen a couple of months ago.

I honestly have no clue why these things are happening.

I already checked my harddisk. I used Disk Utility and then the First Aid tab to check my harddisk and everything is fine. I also have over 100GB still available, so the harddisk is not too full or something.

I also checked the activity monitor. I'm not too sure what to look at on the monitor, but as fas as I can tell, there is nothing strange going on.

I also already reset my PRAM and SMC.

Does anyone have any idea how to solve these problems? Or maybe just point me in the right direction?

Many thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 10, 2014 2:59 AM

1 reply

Feb 10, 2014 5:54 AM in response to adgx

I just performed a normal AHT test (I don't have time of an extended one right now), but it said "No trouble found".

So I guess we can say it's not a hardware issue?

Is there a way to find out what software could be causing these issues? I rather not format/reinstall the whole thing, so it would be nice if there is a way to find out what is causing the problems.

MacBook Pro boots up really slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.