Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 / iTunes 11.1.4 "iTunes cannot connect to this iPhone. This device is no longer connected."

Since updating iTunes, I have been unable to connect any of my devices to my iTunes. I have two iPad Minis which come up with same exact message as my iPhone 5. When I try to close the message it just keeps reopening and the connect sound plays repeatedly on my devices. I have to use 'Force Quit' to close iTunes.

I have tried using a different cable and replugging in and out again. I have also checked for OS and iTunes updates but my software is current.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 10, 2014 2:49 AM

15 replies

Apr 20, 2014 8:59 AM in response to ashena

Hey There,

I have exactly the same issue when I try to connect my Ipad 2 (iOS ) to iTunes 11.1.5 on my MBP (OS X Mavericks 10.9.2, late 2013).

I tried to follow the troubleshootings steps indicated by Griff W. without success. I understand that the next thing to try is to uninstall and reinstall iTunes but I am not able to do it. I a message saying that iTunes cannot be deleted or moved because it is needed by OSX.

The weird thing is that I can connect my iphone 5s to iTunes with no problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Apr 21, 2014 1:53 PM in response to mams2000

Hi

I have exctly the same problem. It just started yesterday when I returned from a vacation and connected my ipad (3rd Gen with ios 7.1) to my macbookpro (only recently bought and working well until now, with latest OS updates and latest iTunes).

The iphone 5 works ok with ios 7.1.

My Wife's ipad also has the same problem (also 3rd gen, but was one ios version behind).

I have windows 7 running on the macbookpro through bootcamp and downloaded itunes for windows and was able to connect the ipad. However, it woud also not charge. I did not sync as my data is not in windows, but as I could connect via itunes, I decided to try to restore from the latest icloud back up. No Joy. Still trying to download all apps again!

I have tried various resets as suggested by various web sites, tried to re-install iTunes on the mac. Nothing works.

As this only happened after returning to the UK from a trip to the USA, could something have happened while I was on line in the USA?

Apr 22, 2014 2:05 PM in response to seyahlaup

I think I solved my problem!

I noticed, when I connected, the ipad that the new "Trust this Computer" popup to Flash on and off very quickly (See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5868 for info on purpose of the popup). It appeared for such a short time that I was never able to see it for long enough to respond to it.

Last night I switched off the lock password (the ipad was not connected to the mac when I did this). Today when I tried again to connect the Mac I heard a beep and saw the "Trust this Computer" popup. Instead of being presented for fractions of a second, as it had been previously, it was shown for a second or two before dissappearing and reappearing several seconds later etc.

When I realised that the "Trust this Computer! popup was being presented for long enough for me to push the Trust button, I attempted to press it. The popup closed and the ipad showed it was charging. The Mac presented a popup saying it had not been able to connect. I selected "OK", itunes loaded and started to sync to the ipad.

I subsequently conncted the ipad via a different cable. The problem started again (it is a genuine apple cable, supplied with the ipad). As soon as I added the cable that had worked all was OK again.

My wife's ipad had the same behaviour as I have described above.

I noticed that ios version 7.1.1 is now available. I have installed it. However this does not solve the problem as described above.

Conclusion: I now only have one out of 6 cables that I have that actually works!!! This cable is one of those "older types" that has "clips" in the side to "lock" it into place on the ipad. The ipad end is about twice the depth of the cable that was shipped with the ipad (possibly I got it with an old ipod) . What has Apple done to make so many cables unusable at overnight? I have not yet found any sources for this old type of cable.

Oct 12, 2014 10:02 AM in response to seyahlaup

I was experiencing the same problem. iTunes wouldn't connect to my ipad after upgrading to ios 8. Trust this computer kept flashing on the ipad, and the device has been disconnected from the computer warning was displaying on my computer. To resolve it, I turned the passcode lock feature completely off on the ipad. Restarted itunes, and conneted the ipad to the computer and it allowed me to push the trust this computer button and start the sync process. Everything is working OK now. Not sure why this happened like this. But it works now.

Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 / iTunes 11.1.4 "iTunes cannot connect to this iPhone. This device is no longer connected."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.