Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to clean up mac

I just installed mavericks on my macbook. I didn't get any options for a clean installation.
Is there any way I can clean up my mac (delete old files which might lag the system) automatically?

I do of course have a back up on the files I want to keep on an external hard drive.

Greatful for any response.

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 10, 2014 3:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2014 6:47 AM

Not really. And don't trust any programs that do. They can actually make your Mac slower. Leave the Mac on in screen saver mode, not energy saver or closed overnight once a month to clean the logfiles.

Delete those files you don't need that you created yourself.

Find out from various vendors where they store the supporting files for their applications if you don't want to use certain applications anymore, and delete those applications.

The biggest lag is storage. Never let your Mac get over 85% full.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2014 6:47 AM in response to tkamdal

Not really. And don't trust any programs that do. They can actually make your Mac slower. Leave the Mac on in screen saver mode, not energy saver or closed overnight once a month to clean the logfiles.

Delete those files you don't need that you created yourself.

Find out from various vendors where they store the supporting files for their applications if you don't want to use certain applications anymore, and delete those applications.

The biggest lag is storage. Never let your Mac get over 85% full.

how to clean up mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.