Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

windows 8.1 wifi not working after sleep (and other various bugs)

Hello Apple support forum, this is my first post!

Alright, so I just switched to my first mac. MBP Retina late '13. I bought it primarily to run windows, and to also of course use OS10.

My issues in bootcamp however are getting annoying. My Wifi shows up as connected after I resume from sleep, but my mac won't let me disable wifi, enable airplane mode and then re-enable wifi, nothing. The only way to get wifi to work when resuming from sleep is to reboot.

I just set hibernate when close lid on all my power modes, and basically disabled sleep for now. Hibernate works fine for now, but sleep is much faster from resume and also I'm not sure if the machine will wake up from a simple tap on the keyboard or opening of the lid, I think I have to actually boot it all over again anyways.

My other minor but still annoying issue is my titles of windows in windows are showing up as black (screenshot here)

User uploaded file

the only other thing I was curious about was the dual-gpu functionality. I know from reading these forums it's probably not possible because of the hardware and software mesh apple created for OSX and their dual-gpu design, how it wouldn't really work in windows. I'm just wondering if anyone ever got this to work in windows maybe on the older retina MBP or older macs, or if anyone is making progress on trying to fix that in windows? I bought this laptop expecting that to work, even the geniuses at the Apple store said it would be possible, I was misled and might have second-gussed buying a 3k machine if it would only get a few more hours battery than my old Vaio. I bought this machine primarily for battery life.

I'm just remembering another tiny tiny issue. When I plug headphones in the headphone jack in windows, it doesn't automatically switch to that audio output, I have to manually do it in audio settings, is this a bug, have I configured something incorrectly, and is there a fix?

One other thing is my dpi settings, I have it set to a larger font and everything because at stock it is SOOO tiny. my question is, is there any way to smooth out text in other apps, my browser and apps like rdio look like crap unless I leave the dpi settings stock, which I basically need a magnifying glass to use (I tried that for a week lol. Not the magnifying glass tho haha)

I know I'm rambling at this point, but in the windows 8.1 camera app, sometimes my camera does this bug where it flips between inverted and normal, extremely quickly, so it looks like there are two of me. I don't know if this was GPU drivers tho, because just reinstalled those this morning and it seems to be ok so far.

also, the keyboard. I miss my context menu key, what do I need two command keys for? A right alt button, I'd rather have that be the other control button. Any way to remap these easily? what about switching Fn with control on the left, I prefer my windows button in the exact corner.

last question tho, I saw people overclocking gpu's on their retinas from last year, can you do this on the new retinas, and can you overclock the cpu as well as the gpu?

I do have to say this in the end, I am a little dissapointed with apple, I was told thst my mac would run windows like a native windows machine. I know windows 8.1 is not supported, but coming from PC's for years, and being a PC technician, I also go to school for computer engineering, I expected everything to "just work" as steve jobs once said. Well, it doesn't just work. I even had these issues in windows 8, which is supported.

Installing windows 8 was a nightmare. I had to use the forums, try for weeks to get windows 8 to finally instll the proper (uefi) way, and to get everything usable, I had to reinstall my os's twice.

Apple, if you are going to advertise a mac that can run windows "seamlessly", you need to get these major issues fixed, support all new versions of windows before they are even release, and release proper hardware drivers and support software before new hardware is released. All other Windows OEMS are pretty much required to do this to stay in business. I don't dislike OSX, I just use windows for everything I can't use Mac for, so please fix this. You're better than this, you should put a higher standard on this. otherwise, don't advertise macs that can run windows.

Thanks guys, sorry for the information overload. BTW, MBP Retina 15" 16GB RAM 512 SSD, 2.6 haswell, pretty much the max specs other than the SSD.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Windows 8

Posted on Feb 10, 2014 4:24 AM

4 replies

Feb 10, 2014 7:05 AM in response to Samzebian

If you want technical help please state your issue simply and directly with suficient details for us to help you. Your post sounds more like a rant with unrealistic expectations. Windows 7/8 work well on Apple computers, just as well as they do on Windows computers. If you are having installation problems make sure you read and follow the Boot Camp Installation guides.

It is no wonder Windows 8.1 does not work correctly, it is not supported, no hardware drivers.

As to Apple providing drivers even before Windows is released, that is an example of an unrealistic expectation from your post. How on earth would Apple have any technical details of future Microsoft releases? "Other Windows OEMS" have agreements with Microsoft. Apple is a Microsoft competitor. Microsoft is not about to provide engineering and marketing secrets to Apple. Be realistic.

With respect to "overclocking" I think you better hold off on attempting this given the problems you had installing Windows 8, a supported and well documented process.

So, provide details of one technical problem at a time and we will try to help you. Please leave out the rants. We are just users like you and don't care about the ranting.

Feb 10, 2014 5:09 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

I have stated every issue I’ve had so far in a fairly clear and concise way. I think if you read what I wrote, it all makes logical sense as to what is going on. Windows 7/8 would work just as well on a Mac if it was supported the same way the OS is for other OEMs.

As I stated earlier in the post, I’m having these same issues in windows 8, not just 8.1, which is the reason for the post. I know the difference between supported by drivers and not supported by the manufacturer. The fact that when Haswell mbp’s came out and no revision to bootcamp for the new hardware was released to fix issues with installing windows on the new hardware shows Apple clearly Is not supporting bootcamp as strongly as they advertise.

I am being realistic on Apple having drivers early. Anyone with an MSDN subscription can download the RELEASE version of windows months ahead of the actual release, I’m 100% sure if any average consumer can do that by paying $100 and saying they are a developer, apple can do it just as easily.

You aren’t much help, you haven’t answered really anything to my post, nor have you contributed any knowledge that wasn’t clearly posted above, so don’t say anything if you don’t have anything to contribute.

By the way, my rant is directed at apple, as you can see because I am saying “Apple, if you are going to…” because this is an Apple forum on Apple’s website. It is not directed to end users, clearly.

Feb 10, 2014 8:07 PM in response to Samzebian

Samzebian wrote:

<snip>

By the way, my rant is directed at apple, as you can see because I am saying “Apple, if you are going to…” because this is an Apple form on Apple’s website. It is not directed to end users, clearly.

Apple is not here so you are addressing other users. This is a user-to-user technical help forum. If you want to direct your post to Apple you can use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of each page in these communities.

windows 8.1 wifi not working after sleep (and other various bugs)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.