Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I restrict cellular data?

I have my daughters iphone 4s restrictions set so that she can't modify the settings. It is set for cellular data use to not allow changes; HOWEVER, when you go to the settings for cellular data it will let her cut it back on? Help please?

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Feb 10, 2014 7:07 AM

16 replies

Nov 15, 2016 6:37 AM in response to Courcoul

Nope. Voice calls are sent over GSM, data is sent over (these days) LTE, 2 completely separate systems actually facilitated by 2 completely separate components in your device. Should be perfectly possible to turn the data transceiver off all-together and leave the GSM function unaffected, your device would still be able to send data over the GSM network (called GPRS or EDGE) but this would be incredibly slow, and also free on most contracts.

Conspiracy theorists are saying that the cell network operators have always pressurized/paid apple to prevent you from deactivating your iPhone's data connection, since they make SO much money out of it, especially out of teenage offspring running up huge data bills.

Just sayin'

Feb 10, 2014 8:58 AM in response to wjosten

Agree. GSM, by its very nature, is a digital communications protocol. Voice gets changed to bits and bytes and gets sent out like that. You get the opportunity to send out non-voice bits and bytes as a side benefit over the infrastructure. And like wjosten points out, the switch only keeps the apps from adding their non-voice bits to the stream, that's all.

Feb 10, 2014 9:34 AM in response to ksmaddox76

OK

You cannot turn off the Cellular Data switch and then block any changes in the restriction section, but you can do nearly the same thing.

1. Settings > Cellular then slide down and turn off cellular data for all separate apps

2. Settings > General > Restrictions > Allow Changes > Cellular Data Use > Don't Allow Changes

Now your daughter will use only wifi for her favourite apps

Mar 17, 2014 4:04 PM in response to HugeCachalot

So, regarding above, my findings are that if you simply go back and enable cellular use the specific applications can be re-enabled. I've found no way to do this... With regard to it not being a bug -- anyone have any thoughts for what Apple intended with this setting, if it's not a bug?

Not trying to be adverserial, just very frustrated that this doesn't work as we all want it to...

Jun 4, 2014 5:08 PM in response to rscook

BTW, if ATT is your provider, you can turn off data usage for one or more phones on your shared data plan. But you have to do it each billing cycle, and it comes back on at next cycle. And the phone may have to be restarted for the change to take effect. Not sure about that part. May be dependent on the iphone, 4 or 5.

Jul 9, 2016 8:54 AM in response to Brad Shuler1

Brad Shuler1 wrote:

As a parent I am very frustrated that I cannot stop my kid from using massive amounts of data. Now I have to take away YouTube. She might come after me with a spoon.

Contact your carrier and see what type of parental control features they offer. If they don't offer ones that meet your needs, give your daughter a basic phone.

Nov 15, 2016 6:50 AM in response to CaptainJack69

CaptainJack69 wrote:

Nope. Voice calls are sent over GSM, data is sent over (these days) LTE, 2 completely separate systems actually facilitated by 2 completely separate components in your device. Should be perfectly possible to turn the data transceiver off all-together and leave the GSM function unaffected, your device would still be able to send data over the GSM network (called GPRS or EDGE) but this would be incredibly slow, and also free on most contracts.

Cellular data is separate from voice. You can turn that off. Go to Settings>Cellular>Cellular Data and set it to off. What you can't do, and what the OP was asking to do was to lock that setting in restrictions.

Nov 15, 2016 6:55 AM in response to CaptainJack69

People have mentioned the partial work-around of locking the data access for all the apps in the "use cellular data" list. This does work and the "restrictions" settings do lock out changes, the problem is that this list is incomplete and misses many of the big data hog apps on your device, like YouTube, FaceBook, Instagram, Vine and pretty much everything your teenage kids like to play with all day long. Also it still fails to address the "Personal Hotspot" function at all.

Nov 15, 2016 7:00 AM in response to CaptainJack69

CaptainJack69 wrote:

Conspiracy theorists are saying that the cell network operators have always pressurized/paid apple to prevent you from deactivating your iPhone's data connection, since they make SO much money out of it, especially out of teenage offspring running up huge data bills.

Just sayin'

How's your tin hat, not too tight I hope

How do I restrict cellular data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.