Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

quicktime player disappears during screen recording

I just tried to make a screen recording using QT. The player appears on screen and using the File menu, I choose new screen recording and then move the mouse onto the screen I want to record and click.. the player then completely disappears from my screen when the recording starts. The only way to stop the recording is to hit quit from the quicktime menu. This is the first screen recording I have tried to make since updating to Mavericks and it's also the first time I have had this problem.

Upon restarting Quicktime my movie shows up so I can save it.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 10, 2014 8:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2014 8:38 AM

ah shoot.. I just realized what is going on. The player fades away and then you have that little record icon in the menu bar... a little confusing and I would bet this has tripped up other people, at least it makes me feel better to think it has 😉

3 replies

Feb 23, 2014 2:34 PM in response to jgowrie

Thanks for the tip on the stop record function icon on the top menu bar. Its disappointing that the new program with Mavericks doesn't keep the the player control box open when you are recording. This may have been in response to some people complaining that the box can get in the way of the recording, although elsewhere it is said that even though it looks like it gets in the way it actually won't show up in the recording.

Regardless of your preference, I think some of us would ideally like to be able to see the window at times so that we can verify that the sound levels are coming through (its a royal pain to record an hour and find out later that no sound was recorded) and to potentially pause recording to remove sections where material is occuring that is of no interest (ie they took a break or need to look for something). The stop button literally stops the recording and no longer gives you the option to RESUME.

The only thing that I found that does work although it is VERY CLUMSY is that if you attempt to quit Quicktime the window with all the controls will show up. If you hit cancel that window will stay there and allow you to do what you want. Now I suspect all the messages that say DO YOU WANT TO END RECORDING are likely to show up in your recording, but I guess you can trim that out. What would make a lot of sense is for them to have the option to view the control box in the View pull down menu.

Oh well. Any one else found any other ways to manage the quicktime screen recordings without being able to access the control window?

quicktime player disappears during screen recording

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.