Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Editing Numbers on iPad, then Cannot open on MAC

This is a brand new problem for me, and has cropped up in the last few days.

I have many Numbers spreadsheets on iCloud, and use my iPad and MAC to edit.

I can no longer edit a spreadsheet on my iPad, then open on my MAC. I have a bunch that I currently can open pon the Mac, but if I even add a period to the sheet, it no longer opens on the MAC

I tried exporting the files to Excel, recreating them etc. As soon as I make any change to a spreadsheet via my ipad, they are no longer compatible with my MAC.

My platform is as follows:

iPad 2.1 (1129)

MAC OS 10.8.5 and Numbers 09 2.3 (554)

FYI - I do NOT want to upgrade to Mavericks.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 10, 2014 10:08 AM

4 replies

Feb 10, 2014 10:37 AM in response to CanadianAuthor

Numbers 2.3 will not open files modified/created in the the latest iPad version of Numbers. I don't see a way to export from the iPad into the older format either.

You may not want to upgrade to Mavericks and Numbers 3 but at least you have the choice. Those with older Macs who cannot upgrade are stuck.

I can understand your reservation about Numbers 3 but what is it about Mavericks that is such a problem? I've been running it since early on and I have no problems

Feb 10, 2014 12:23 PM in response to CanadianAuthor

I too downloaded Mavericks early on, with some trepidation. I was particularly worried about online reports that Mavericks was incompatible with Konica Minolta printers, the very brand we have in our office. But then I figured I would find a way. And sure enough, simple solutions appeared online. Mavericks has been solid for me ever since, on a middle-aged machine.

As for working with Numbers documents both on the Mac and on an iPad with iCloud syncing, there is no comparison. The new Numbers is much better at that. So if that is important to you, take the plunge. The combination works well. And the price is right.

SG

s

Feb 10, 2014 1:34 PM in response to CanadianAuthor

It's not the same. iCloud is now deeply integrated into the application, and that aspect of things works much better... And the update is free, just as it was on iOS. So again, I say, take the plunge to Mavericks and Numbers 3.1. You'll still have your old Numbers 2.3 on your Mac. You can run the two versions at the same time if you like.

SG

Editing Numbers on iPad, then Cannot open on MAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.