Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture an the new 2013 Mac Pro

What will be the best configuration for the 2013 Mac Pro to get the maximum out of Aperture?

Mac Pro

Posted on Feb 10, 2014 11:44 AM

27 replies

Feb 10, 2014 2:19 PM in response to Keith Barkley

Should of ordered the 1TB SSD, they probably have more in stock!

8^)

I made this mistake with my iPhone, when I ordered the 64GB version. It was also a long, long long wait, and when I complained, I was told, that it would have been much quicker, if I had ordered the 32 GB model like everybody else 😀. Because there was not much demand for 64 GB models, there are not many of them produced.

Feb 11, 2014 12:56 AM in response to WilliWieberg

sure that it is good to have disk space, when editing photos. but my question was more about the other components. as far as I know, Aperture doesn't make use of RAM so much, it is more graphics driven. so I assume that the mac pro should have at least: "Dual AMD FirePro D500 GPUs with 3GB of GDDR5 VRAM each"

and what about the processor? will the quad-core be enough for Aperture or will the app run fast with the 6-core?

Feb 11, 2014 5:07 AM in response to WilliWieberg

This leads to the interesting question of what are the under-the-hood features of the new Aperture version that was promised to be enhanced for the new Mac Pro, as announced during the Mac Pro release event. What has been changed, what will be changed in future versions, and what will be the best hardware supported by Aperture. Has this "optimized for the Mac Pro" version been 3.5 already?

There isn't anything in the release notes about this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2518

That beeing said, I find my almost 4 years old Macbook Pro still sufficient to process my D800E RAW files. What are your requirements and expectations for the new Mac Pro that you wish to purchase, regarding performace. Esprecially what should it do better than any other current Mac that is available today?

Feb 11, 2014 6:55 AM in response to Johannes Lietz

hi johannes,

since I use sophisticated presets with my D4 and D800 raws, I have huge Aperture performance problems. Zoom to 100% takes up to 10 seconds with a 50MB D800 raw. Even by closing all other apps, it still takes a few seconds. my first thought was that a new mac pro would solve this problem but now I start getting the feeling, that I have performance problems with my 2008 macpro. so I will look into that first...

it is hard to decide for a new mac pro because no one really tested it and as you said correctly, Aperture 4 isn't out now (hope that it will some day).

so I will wait for other options or even for a "iMac 4K" :-)

Feb 11, 2014 7:33 AM in response to WilliWieberg

Hi Willi,

is your current Mac Pro already running with SSD drives? That was the best upgrade I could do to my MBP. Without SSD I had retired my MBP a long time ago.

As a new fully equipped Mac Pro is not a bargain for most of us, I'd definitely wait until Apple makes a clear statement, or some external testers have made a proper performance comparison of the various hardware options of the MP in reference to Aperture.

Nevertheless, if you have serious issues now and can't wait, I guess even the basic Mac Pro with sufficient HD space and RAM will be good enough for anything you do with Aperture.

Feb 11, 2014 7:38 AM in response to WilliWieberg

I played around with the entry model at the local Apple Store, and found it to be very quick. But I mostly tested with FCPX, and didn't look to see what, if any, test Library they had on it for Aperture.

There is no question but that my rMBP with 16 GB of RAM out performed my older Mac Pro with only 10 GB of RAM, (and the inability to install anything beyond 10.7.5) throughout the time they could use the same version of Aperture. And there is no question in my mind that the RAW files from my D800 are more intensively felt than full HD video, whether in Aperture or FCPX.

My pet theory is that the graphics memory is over whelmed by the D800 images, and that ordinary memory must be brought to bear, but is then not well managed.

I have configured my order for a new MP after consultation with the Busines Desk reps at the Apple Store, who checked their sources, and felt the 6 Core and standard graphics card would be all that I would need to run either Aperture or FCPX. Only if I were to want to do animation renderings, etc, would I need more than the 6 Core. But I did configure it with 32 GB of RAM, and the 1 TB flash drive. My status still says shipping in February -- I ordered it before Christmas.

I already am using TBolt drives with rMBP running Mavericks, and doing backups via clones to USB3 drives.

Ernie

Feb 11, 2014 8:16 AM in response to Ernie Stamper

Btw, remember that FCPX has had an update that included special provissions for running on the new MP. But to my knowledge, nothing of that sort has happened for Aperture, so my in store experience may be tainted by that. But we can be hopeful something will happen for Aperture and the new MP in the near future, and if so, may only apply to a Mac Pro.

Ernie

Feb 12, 2014 12:29 AM in response to Johannes Lietz

thanks fpr the tip! I found out now, that my performance problems result in the use of VSCO filters. even if I edit a project on the SSD only, the 100% view of a 50MB file with VSCO filter takes at least 10 seconds. without filter it still is 2 sec.

I will try to edit that project on a new mac pro in the local apple store to compare the performance...

Aperture an the new 2013 Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.