Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I got a popup warning "another device on the network is using your computer's IP address"

I looked up the IP and its in Italy (192.168.0.101). Should I be worried? I have noticed my computer screen being glitchy.

My settings are:

Configure IPv4: Using DHCP

IPv4 Address: 192.168.0.101

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Router: 192.168.0.1

Configure IPv6: Auto

I currently have 3 macs in my office connecting to the internet, my 2 iphones, 1 laptop and 1 ipad.

Any thoughts, comments, or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Posted on Feb 10, 2014 11:12 AM

6 replies

Feb 10, 2014 11:49 AM in response to Donald Morgan

Hi Donald,

Thanks, I had my old IT Guy set up my office and this was how he did it? It's password protected for all of my wireless products. Thoughts?

Oh and I noticed I had left my logmein on for months. Could that have been how this person in Italy got in?

I just logged into my dlink IP and changed the passwords/network names. The security mode was set to: Enable WPA/WPAS2 Wireless Security Enhanced.

I realized my old IT guy (who died last year) had a very simple login for the dlink login. Maybe someone hacked into many of his old clients?? I think this should resolve the issue.

Thanks

Feb 10, 2014 12:21 PM in response to sh3mpy

There are several possible causes for this behavior.

1. Two (or more) computers on the local network have the same Bonjour name, such as "X's-MacBook-Pro.local". Resolve the name conflict by renaming one or more of them in the Sharing preference pane.

2. You have two simultaneous connections to the same local network: probably Ethernet and Wi-Fi. If applicable, disconnect the Ethernet cable or turn off Wi-Fi.

3. A Mac wakes from sleep due to network traffic. This is a bug in OS X that may only affect some models.

4. A device that gets its network address from the router wakes from sleep, and the address it was using before has been assigned to another device.

5. A third-party wireless router has incompatible settings or firmware. In that case, refer to the manufacturer or ISP for support. Restarting the router may help, temporarily.

6. See also this support article.

I got a popup warning "another device on the network is using your computer's IP address"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.