Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini: Discrete Graphics vs Intel HD Graphics

2011 Mac Min

2.5 ghz i5 processor

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

8 GB Ram

Mavericks OS

Java version 7 update 51

Figured I would post this to the community before contacting support.

Question 1:

How do I know when my Mac mini is using the Intell HD 3000 built in GPU or the AMD Radeon discrete graphics card?

Specific issue I am trying to address:

Poor graphics performance when running a single Java based app.

Details:

The app is a stock trading platform produced by TD Ameritrade.

While the app is running ALL scren animations are adversely affected. (minimize/maximize windows, dock navigation, moving open windows etc...)

As soon as the Java app is closed, all screen annimations return to perfectly smooth.

While the Java app is running, the Activity Monitor shows memory pressure is very low and CPU usage remains near full idle.

With no evidence of the CPU or Memory being overloaded I am left to assume its the graphics hardware that is overloaded.

Final note: tech support at TD Ameritrade claims they are releasing a 64 bit version of the platform that is supposed to correct the issues.

Question 2:

Is there a way to force my Mac Mini to use discrete graphics vs the intel HD 3000 so that I can see if this corrects the issue?

Mac mini (Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 10, 2014 11:14 AM

5 replies

Feb 10, 2014 1:19 PM in response to dryheat

Hello,

Not much info here as is par for Apple...

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3246

I wonder if it's in the same place for Minis...

The more powerful discrete cards do not share RAM with the main system and should free up memory as compared to the integrated option. I checked the Energy Saver preference pane to view the graphics performance settings. Sure enough, the machine was set to “better battery life” instead of “better performance.”

http://blog.smalldog.com/techtails/tt762/

Feb 10, 2014 1:31 PM in response to dryheat

However, the link the BDAqua provided does not list the OPs Mini as being able to switch

For Mac computers with both integrated and discrete GPUs, some models allow you to use OS X to decide which GPU to use for rendering graphics. Other models automatically switch between discrete and integrated graphics depending on the task at hand. For more information on models that switch between integrated and discrete please review:

For dryheat, does System Report list both GPUs?

Feb 10, 2014 2:07 PM in response to lllaass

lllaass wrote:

For dryheat, does System Report list both GPUs?

Thanks for your reply.

It does not list both. System report only lists the AMD Radeon under Graphics/Displays. So does this mean this model of Mac mini always use the discrete graphics and does not switch depending on graphics load? I checked those links you provided and my Energy Saver settings do not include any options other Computer Sleep and Display Sleep. That and some checkboxes for hard disk sleep and what-not.

User uploaded file

Mac Mini: Discrete Graphics vs Intel HD Graphics

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.