Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture Beginner

I started using Aperture last night for the first time after letting it sit there for about a year and have a few questions which I hope someone can help with.

I have some add on's that I purchased a long time ago while on sale such as Nik photo effects and was right clicking on some images and selecting edit with plug in. This produced a desired effect as it created a Version and edited it.

Now my first question. Why doesn't Aperture keep the edited Version next to the Master? When I'm done editing the picture the edited version snaps to the beginning of the project (think that's the term) I'm in. I've been manually dragging the edited version back to the Master then creating a stack for them. This seems tedious and while I may be wrong I can't help but think most people would want their edits along side the originals. Also is there a way to collapse the edits? Thinking stacks is the way to go however once I added pics to a stack and could see the darkened background for that grouping the pics weren't collapsing into the master like I had hoped.

Secondly I wanted to do a few different edits with those plug ins on the same picture and ran into another weird issue. If I right clicked on the version it simply edited the version and did not create a new one, that's fine. When I went and right clicked on the Master and clicked edit it with plug in for a second time it created what appeared to be another Master and then an edited version of that. I ended up with 4 pics, 2 of which act like Masters because I tried deleting what appeared to be the second master and the edited version of that was deleted as well. I'd like to be able to have multiple versions of a photo without creating this many "Masters".

My last question is why does the navigation in the top left where you can click to go back to a project only available in certain views? I guess I'm just getting used to the workflow and found myself changing views to see a closer view of the pic then changing views to quickly go back to the project or ablum view. I'm using a magic mouse but may be time to turn on the trackpad and look up some gestures for Aperture.

Thanks for the help!!

Posted on Feb 10, 2014 1:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2014 3:57 AM

I'd like to be able to have multiple versions of a photo without creating this many "Masters".

This is due to Aperture's rigidly ensuring a lossless workflow.

As long as you are using Aperture's built-in adjustments, all edited versions will be based on the original master image, no problem. You will be able to ondo all edits and to revert to the original image file.

But editing is behaving differently for editing with plug-ins or external editors. Since Aperture cannot undo or recreate the edits done by third-party software, it will create a new quasi master from the last edited version in the best possible lossless format (tiff or psd) and send that to the external editor. The editor will apply the edits to the new copy, and the original master image will be saved.

If you do not want editional quasi-original files to be created, avoid plug-ins and external editors.

Regards

Léonie

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2014 3:57 AM in response to JMANTN

I'd like to be able to have multiple versions of a photo without creating this many "Masters".

This is due to Aperture's rigidly ensuring a lossless workflow.

As long as you are using Aperture's built-in adjustments, all edited versions will be based on the original master image, no problem. You will be able to ondo all edits and to revert to the original image file.

But editing is behaving differently for editing with plug-ins or external editors. Since Aperture cannot undo or recreate the edits done by third-party software, it will create a new quasi master from the last edited version in the best possible lossless format (tiff or psd) and send that to the external editor. The editor will apply the edits to the new copy, and the original master image will be saved.

If you do not want editional quasi-original files to be created, avoid plug-ins and external editors.

Regards

Léonie

Feb 11, 2014 6:21 PM in response to léonie

I think half of what I know about Aperture comes from posts you've made on here so first and foremost thank you for your time!

Your explanation makes perfect sense and I guess I will just suffer through when I want multiple edits of the same image via plug-ins. I think Aperture could just create a tiff and use that instead of creating two additional copies but I digress.

Any help as to my other issue with Stacks? I haven't pinpointed how the cause just yet but two nights in a row I'll have some pics in a stack and will edit those pics and every now and then the just saved edit will go to the top of the project instead of staying within the stack. I have the optoin to create stacks automatically turned on and I'm not making any picture a "pick". I'm simply saving an edit and every now and then a pic will jump out of the stack and to the top of the project. Kinda annoying as I'm still organizing my library so my projects are a mess.

Aperture Beginner

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.