Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CPU fan run at 3200 or higher for no reason

I have a 2011 iMac and for a while the CPU fan goes at high speed for no reason. I installed Macs Fan Controll but it does not allow me to reduce to the desired minimum speed ... only when i increase the temperature levels the speed goes done a little bit ,,, i.e. from 4000 rpm to 3200 rpm ,,, of course i did the rest, unplugging, pressing the power button etc.

any idea what i else i could do ,,, i looked on the internet, some solutions worked for others ,,, but they dont work for me ,,, non of the fan speed control programs work ,,, now i have installed iStats menus 4 ... the trial version ,,, it worked for 30 min ... i was so happy i was ready to buy the program ,,, and thought i better wait some days ,,, the version is free for 14 days ,,, but after 30 min back to 4000 rpm ...

what should i do? I just moved to Warsaw and no apple store around ...

thanks

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 10, 2014 1:16 PM

7 replies

Feb 12, 2014 1:21 PM in response to Basel41

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We're users here and do not speak for "Apple Inc."

Have you done an SMC reset?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5893290?answerId=24840814022#24840814022

Another reason for the fan to do that on mid-2011 iMacs is because the internal hard drive was replaced with a non-Apple-specific drive that lacks the internal temperature sensor present in the original Apple-specific hard drive. Details and one potential solution available at OtherWorldComputing www.macsales.com

http://blog.macsales.com/10146-apple-further-restricts-upgrade-options-on-new-im acs

Feb 13, 2014 1:07 PM in response to Basel41

i did a hardware test and found out that it is a

4SNS/1/C0000008:TS2p--124

error

which apparently means that a sensor on the logic board is broken.

great ... i will see how much it will cost to be replaced ... 😟

when i bought the iMac at the Apple Online store I had it configured with a 2T HD and 8 GB RAM .... maybe that is what killed it ...

CPU fan run at 3200 or higher for no reason

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.