2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 10, 2014 4:46 PM by Cyberian
Cyberian Level 1 Level 1

I was switching between channels when the unit became sluggish in responding to the remote.The screen went black and the USB to iTunes icon popped up on the screen. After some time and a google search I read what I had to do… using Itunes to restore the unit. Why this happened is a mystery. However the problem I am having is this... after several attempts to download from iTunes I get the following error message after about 60 MB downloading : "There was a porblem downloading the software for Apple TV "Apple TV". An unnown error occured ( -50).

Yes my network is working fine ( I am writing this message ) The apple TV is hooked up to my Air using the mini USB cord. And I tried the download with the unit plugged into AC power and unplugged from AC power. What else is there to do? Thanks!

Mac OS X (10.7.2)
Solved by Winston Churchill on Feb 10, 2014 4:16 PM Solved

Check that you have correctly followed the instructions for your model of Apple TV.

If not already, try using a powered USB port.

Repeat the process but this time try connecting the cable while iTunes is closed.

Repeat the process with another cable.

Try restoring the Apple TV on another computer in another location.

Reply by Cyberian on Feb 10, 2014 4:46 PM Helpful

To save time I tried every one of your suggestions right away using our iMac with an ethernet connection. It worked perfectly! Thanks Winston! I was just settling in to rest (as I think I am getting a flu) when this happened adding to my misery.

It is still curious why this happened.

All replies

• Cyberian Level 1 Level 1

a little more information: around 60.1 MB the status box suddenly reads "processing file" then the error message pops up. This last time I tried downloading the file not having the Apple TV plugged in.

• Winston Churchill Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

Check that you have correctly followed the instructions for your model of Apple TV.

If not already, try using a powered USB port.

Repeat the process but this time try connecting the cable while iTunes is closed.

Repeat the process with another cable.

Try restoring the Apple TV on another computer in another location.

• Cyberian Level 1 Level 1

To save time I tried every one of your suggestions right away using our iMac with an ethernet connection. It worked perfectly! Thanks Winston! I was just settling in to rest (as I think I am getting a flu) when this happened adding to my misery.

It is still curious why this happened.