Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot get mail the connection to the server failed

My iPad and iPhone are giving me the message "Cannot get mail - The connection to the server failed". Does anyone have a solution to this error message

iPhone 4S

Posted on Feb 10, 2014 3:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2014 3:59 PM

What is the history of mail sync? Have your received mail before and then all of a sudden started getting this message? Also, what email "back-end" do you use? Exchange? GMAIL? ????

6 replies

Feb 16, 2014 10:41 AM in response to Terrain2013

Hi -I was having the above problems on both my ipad and iphone, and I trawled the internet for hours and hours trying to find a solution to this.....tried resetting both devices,signing back in to the mail app, and did a full reset of both iphone and ipad., I removed the email account from both devices too.. I knew that the problem occurred after receiving an email- as it happened whilst opening the email- you might not have realised that's what it was at the time?.... I tried deleting the email from both phone and ipad, and hotmail was working fine on a webpage,it was JUST the mail app that was giving the error messages..... I was receiving the above message and ' cannot send mail- an error occurred while sending this message' and ' cannot get mail- the connection to the server has failed' then I suddenly realised that even though I had deleted the mail from both ipad and iphone the message was still in trash, so I emptied trash and made sure the mail was completely removed from my hotmail account ANYWHERE and then the problem disappeared.....I think an email I received was maybe corrupt- I hope this at least helps someone and saves you the hassle it caused me!

Good luck!!

May 9, 2014 3:56 AM in response to Terrain2013

Hi Friend,

Which kind of account are you using?

If you are using a business account (for example stevejobs@apple.com) you must set POP account info properly, filling all the blank fields (name, email address, description, password, Host Name, user's name, SMTP). Just one field blanked causes error in sending/receiving.

If you are using a default account (iCloud, Yahoo!, Hotmail...), fill all the blank fields (Name, Email account, Password, Description) and sign in.

If not works, delete the email account, switch off your device for @ five minutes, turn it on and sign in again properly.

See also: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4810?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Hope it helps

Cannot get mail the connection to the server failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.