Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you transfer hardware to new Mac Pro case?

I'm just wondering if I'm thinking this would be easy or I'm missing something, but I'd like to know if I could remove all the hardware in my Mac Pro (2009) and just re-install it in a new case? Is is that or am I missing something?

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 2.93GHz Dual Quad-Core

Posted on Feb 10, 2014 4:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2014 4:56 PM

No. Apple fit the hardware in the case so it can't be replaced.

Allan

6 replies

Feb 10, 2014 7:22 PM in response to Mikesand

I've done this. I migrated all hardware from my Mac Pro 2009 enclosure into a new case. The new case was technically a '2010 Mac Pro' case (made in 2011 actually), but 100% compatable.

I bought it on eBay from a seller in California. It shipped sealed in the original box (from the factory in China). All fans were included as well.

Any 2010-2012 case will work with your 2009 hardware. The part numbers changed, but the case is still the same.

Feb 11, 2014 8:05 AM in response to Studio K

For readers who get here by searching:

There are MAJOR changes between the 2008 and previous cases and the 2009 and later. The processor(s) and memories move to an additional card on a removable slide-out shelf, and the shape of everything including drive sleds changes. Power supply and wiring are remarkably different.

Be sure you get the right series, as the changes are far too many to make a swap-over feasible starting from the "other" series.

Can you transfer hardware to new Mac Pro case?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.