Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't create free space on my HD !

Hi,

I got the ''startup disk is almost full'' message the other day, so I've decided it was about time to clean my HD from any useless files. I've cleaned old movies & music, emptied the trash, emptied the download folder. I've deleted a LOT of gigs by my self, but I still get the message. It seems that the computer doesn't know that I've deleted files and still thinks it's full.

Here's what I get when I hit cmd+i on the Macintosh HD:

Capacity: 249,2 Go

Free space: 46,8 Mo

Used space: 249 152 811 008 octets (249,15 Go sur disque)

When I add all the size of the main folders on my mac, I'm near 170 gb, not 249 !

Any help on this one would be appreciated

I own a MacBook Pro 13 in mid 2010 with OS X Mavericks 10.9.1

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Feb 10, 2014 6:32 PM

2 replies

Feb 10, 2014 8:02 PM in response to Colinlaurendeau

This may seem like a silly question, but have you emptied the trash after deleting items from folders?

If so, download Disk Inventory Xand let it scan your hard drive - it will show you where your space has gone.

Do not delete items at random here - the fact that something is taking up lots of space doesn't mean you should delete it right away.

Deleting items from your home folder is probably OK if you don't need them anymore, but if you don't recognize the files, post here first.

~Lyssa

Can't create free space on my HD !

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.