Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages.app randomly deletes chat history in open window

Ever since iChat switched to Messages.app and even Messages Beta, my chat windows randomly delete message history. It happens daily with no bias to contact or length of chat. Just this morning I was chatting with a friend over the gtalk protocol and I went to scroll up to click a link he sent about 20 messages earlier and the whole chat record had vanished.

Luckily google talk saves my chat history so I can look it up in gmail...

OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 11, 2014 7:13 AM

3 replies

Feb 11, 2014 1:46 PM in response to JoshJohnston

Hi,

My first thought would be to check the Messages > File Menu and the keystrokes listed for closing a chat and the like and then checking that against any "helper" app you might have that substitutes keystrokes for longer text.

I use TextExpander.

It is a System Preferences based item.

I use it to post the pic and time and Spec info in my signature block at the end of posts.

In the Preferences Pane it looks like this

User uploaded file

(For the curious. I change to HTML mode then type the 4 characters listed as the abbreviation and it "pastes" it to the post. The Pic URL is grabbed after posting > then Editing and looking in the HTML mode again)

TextExpander is not the only app or Utility that can do this sort of thing.

I would also look at whether you are knocking the CMD key whilst trying to type Capital W as ****+CMD+W will close the chat.

However I am not entirely sure this would explain you being in the chat still and being able to attempt to scroll up and then finding nothing.

Are you actually logged in to Google at the same time ?

This may cause issues with Priorities.

I found in iChat 5 you could login to both and each would hold it's own part of any conversation.

Effectively a Buddy and myself both did it and realistically the iChat part was separate from the web browser login to the Web mail page and using Chat there.

I have not tested again in Messages but I have noticed the Priority setting in Messages is now different. It used to be 25 which is the same as the Google web page login but is now 0 (which itself might be a null amount).

User uploaded file

9:46 pm Tuesday; February 11, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Feb 11, 2014 1:55 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hi Ralph,

I do not use any helper apps for keystroke substitution and I am in an active chat when it happens. The strange part is that it does not delete the whole previous chat, just from a random point up until the time the current IM started.

For instance, I open an IM at 9:00. It shows my previous history from the night before in the window. I talk away then randomly I will lose everything from about 20 (example number only) messages up until the previous night's conversation that showed when I first opened the IM session.

It's crazy!

Feb 11, 2014 2:03 PM in response to JoshJohnston

HI,

If you then quit the app and Shut Down for the night does the whole of the conversation appear to "come back" on relaunching Messages ?

On another tack:

In iChat in one of the later version did you use the option to Show the last N IMs in the Messages settings (i.e. iChat > Preferences > Messages which is where Saved Chats was set).

This might still be in the .plist and effecting things. (remote chance)

Similar but not related:

In System Preferences > General Pane what do you have set for the number of Applications, Documents, and Servers to be shown ?

This directly effects the number of items shown in Messages > File Menu > Recent Items (and any other apps Recent Lists)

Previously you could set different amounts for Documents compared to the other two meaning your server list was not 30 items long.

User uploaded file

10:03 pm Tuesday; February 11, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Messages.app randomly deletes chat history in open window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.