Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes randomly deleting song ratings

Hi everyone,

I have a pretty straightforward problem with iTunes - my song ratings keep getting randomly deleted.

I am using iTunes 11.1.4 on a 2011 MacBook Pro with Mavericks (10.9.1) and iTunes is managing all my music (all files in the default Music/iTunes folder).

I noticed this only yesterday: I had a bunch of imported music I hadn't yet rated (every song gets rated in my library) and so this week I decided to catch up on that. This was on Monday, then Tuesday I noticed most (about 80-90% of 600 songs) of these recent star ratings were gone. Because it was such painstaking work (it is just really annoying after a while 😝) I didn't rate them all again, but instead used a Time Machine backup of my iTunes library I had made just after finishing rating the songs on Monday. All the ratings were back and I hoped that was that, thus I proceeded to rate the remaining 800 songs.

I absolutely made sure every single song was rated now, which it was.

That was about an hour ago, then I checked again and the rating of 4 songs was gone. Did them again, not much trouble anyway. Now I checked once again, and about 40 ratings are gone. I have no clue what might cause this, that's the first time I experienced anything like it. However this is what I have observed so far:

• Only the "new" ratings from this week keep getting deleted, the old ones remain there (so far). Yet the songs I rated these past days were imported from CD long ago, so I don't really get the time frame.
  • Deletion is absolutely random; from a couple of ratings to hundreds at a time, not bound to genre / artist / etc either.
  • Please note, just the star ratings get deleted, not the songs themselves. Both album and song ratings are randomly deleted.
  • I do use iTunes Match, but import into iTunes Match was completed quite a while ago. On my iPhone (which I use Match for) the song ratings correspond to what's happening in the library, i. e. when the rating's gone in iTunes, there's none on the iPhone's iTunes Match either.
  • It happens no matter if iTunes is running or not; the first time I quit it and when I opened it again the ratings were gone. Now I haven't quit iTunes all day and it keeps deleting nevertheless.
  • Internet connection was active all the time.
  • I didn't alter any settings in iTunes or generally on the MacBook in the past time.

I'd really hate to have to do this over and over again since that's quite a lot songs to rate all the time and I rely on these ratings heavily for smart playlists etc.

I just wonder if anyone else is experiencing such a problem and if there's a fix somehow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS - While writing this, another 50 song ratings got deleted 😢

Thanks a lot and best wishes.

- Lara

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), iTunes 11.1.4

Posted on Feb 11, 2014 9:05 AM

1 reply

Oct 14, 2014 5:04 AM in response to laramae

Hello Lara,

did you find a solution to your problem?

I am asking because I am recently facing the same or at least a similar problem. My system specs are: MacBook Pro OS X 10.9.5; Itunes 11.4

Yet in my case the ratings that get deleted always concern the same songs (about 100 recently purchased songs). There is no consisency regading the date however. Some ratings stay, others just disappear, leaving me absolutly clueless and very, very annoyed.

I don't use itunes match anymore and probably never will again. Its a horroable service that drove my crazy on numerous occasions.

If you have any further information, please share!

thx

iTunes randomly deleting song ratings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.