Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OpenDNS with Time Warner Ubee modem/router and Airport Extreme

I have learned that you can not change the DNS settings on my Ubee DVW3201B modem/router from Time Warner Cable. I want to use OpenDNS to enable some better parental controls and the monitoring capabilities so I need a configuration that will enable me to configure the DNS settings I want to use. Below is my current setup:

Ubee Router (router mode)

Internet IP - 72.xxx.xxx.xxx

Gateway - 10.xxx.xxx.xxx

Wireless - Disabled

|

|

V

Apple Airport Extreme (bridge mode)

IP - 198.162.xxx.xxx

Connect using DCHP

Wireless - Enabled

After lots of research, I know that I need to put the Ubee in Bridge Mode and let the Airport Extreme (AE) act as the primary router however I'm not sure of how to configure the AE. Below is the configuration that I have tried but it does not allow internet access (even though the light on the AE is green and no errors in Airport Utilitiy). I can not PING any standard sites or anything outside my home network so it appears my Internet connection is blocked somewhere.

Ubee Router (Bridge mode)

Wireless Primary Network - Disabled

|

|

V

Airport Extreme (DHCP and NAT mode)

Static Internet IP - 72.xxx.xxx.xxx

LAN IP – 192.168.xxx.xxx

DHCP Range - 192.168.xxx.xxx to 192.168.xxx.xxx

I need help with configuring the AE so it is the primary router and so it has internet access.

AirPort Extreme 802.11n (5th Gen)

Posted on Feb 11, 2014 8:56 AM

10 replies

Feb 11, 2014 12:00 PM in response to Tesserax

Thanks for the suggestion but I already have the OpenDNS addresses configured in the AE. I notice in your screenshot that the IPv4 address is a 192.168.1.xxx address and not an IP from your ISP like mine (i.e., 72.xxx.xxx.xxx). The 72.xxx address was the IP address of the Ubee router before I changed it to Bridge Mode. Should I be using a different IP address in the IPv4 field? Should the IPv4 and Router Address be an 192.168 address?

Thanks for the help.

Feb 11, 2014 12:10 PM in response to iPhone Newbe

Another possible option would be to see if Time Warner will swap the Ubee modem/router.....or modem/WiFi, as they call it......for a simple modem....or modem only, as TW calls it in their list of approved devices.

With a modem only.....all that you need to do is configure the AirPort Extreme to provide DHCP and NAT and you are done. No problem to enter your own DNS servers if you want, just type them in.

Buy Your Modem | Time Warner Cable

Setting the Ubee modem/router to bridge mode does not necessarily mean that it will perform as a modem only....and Time Warner may not support that type of setup, even if it is possible.

Much, much simpler to choose the right products for the job at hand. A simple modem to act as a modem. And, the AirPort to act as the main router. The simplest solutions are almost always also the best solutions.

Feb 11, 2014 12:07 PM in response to iPhone Newbe

I notice in your screenshot that the IPv4 address is a 192.168.1.xxx address and not an IP from your ISP like mine (i.e., 72.xxx.xxx.xxx). The 72.xxx address was the IP address of the Ubee router before I changed it to Bridge Mode. Should I be using a different IP address in the IPv4 field? Should the IPv4 and Router Address be an 192.168 address?

No. You can ignore the IPv4 field content as shown. In the example I provided the AirPort was in bridge mode behind another router. In your case you would want to use the ISP-provided IPv4 Address, Subnet Mask, & Router Address for your AirPort. Note: I am assuming that you have a business-grade type Internet service where your ISP provides you with a dedicated static Public IP address. If that not the case and you are getting a dynamic Pubic IP address, then you want to change the Connect Using field to: Using DHCP ... but still fill in the OpenDNS server IPs.

OpenDNS with Time Warner Ubee modem/router and Airport Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.