Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi escapes iPod daily when idling?

Hello, I bought 2 iPod touches for my girlfriend within the past half year. One had some pixel issues and eventually died. For the second time, instead of buying a refurbished one, since I had more money I just bought her a brand new iPod Touch. It's the generation that has the cameras but isn't the colorful $300 dollar ones. I paid $200 for it. She didn't use it up until a few days ago because she didn't want to waste the other one. This one has severe connection issues and it's really annoying since I cannot go to apple to fix it or replace it for at least until Summer comes. (personal reasons)

Anyways, here's what she told me. The iPod does this every single day, at every moment when it goes idle. At night the issue increases ten-fold and we're never able to talk via Skype or her text messenger app or anything else. Every application is dependant on the wifi.

Sometimes it can be anything from 1 hour at night, to 5-6 hours of being without wifi. It tries to connect to "guest wifi" *which is NOT a working wifi for the iPod touch.* Her main wifi is what the iPod should be connected to. The iPod either shuts off wifi completely or tries to connect to guest wifi. In the day, it takes minutes for it to go back to normal.

We really just want to be able to talk at night since we live quite a drive away from each other. Some nights both of us can only sleep 1 hour because we wait all night for it to work, only to fail or that we can only speak for a little.

That's about all the info I can give, since I don't really know what the heck's causing it. Also, I personally have never had such issues. My iPod touch, iPhones (3g, 4, 5c) and iPad 2 have never really had connection problems. Her other iPod was working on the wifi before-hand just fine (same generation) and the router wasn't changed suddenly.

Thanks to anyone who can solve this.

P.S. Her iPod came with iOS 7.

iPod touch, iOS 7

Posted on Feb 11, 2014 11:06 AM

1 reply

Feb 13, 2014 7:17 AM in response to vapepyro

Hello vapepyro,

Thank you for the details of the issue your girlfriend is experiencing with Wi-Fi on her iPod touch. I recommend the following steps:

1. Be sure you're in range of your Wi-Fi router (access point).
  2. Tap Settings > Wi-Fi and turn Wi-Fi off and on. If your W-Fi setting is dimmed, follow these steps.
  3. Confirm that your Wi-Fi router and cable or DSL modem are connected to power, turned on, and connected to the Internet. If not, refer to your network administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) for assistance.
  4. Restart your iOS device.
  5. Tap Settings > Wi-Fi and locate the Wi-Fi network to which you're connected.
  6. Tap User uploaded file and Forget this Network.
  7. Try to connect to your desired Wi-Fi network.
    Note: You may need to enter your Wi-Fi password again if your network requires one.
  8. Turn your Wi-Fi router off and on2. If your ISP also provides cable or phone service, check with them before attempting this step to avoid interruption of service.
  9. Update your device to the latest version of software.
  10. Update your Wi-Fi router to the latest firmware2. For AirPort Base Stations, install updates using the AirPort Utility.
If the issue is still unresolved Wi-Fi disconnects or signal strength is less than expected
  1. Move closer to the Wi-Fi router (access point).
  2. Check for sources of potential interference.
  3. Remove any case, stand, or other accessories from your iOS device and see if signal strength improves.
  4. Reset network settings by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Note: This will reset all network settings including
    • previously connected Wi-Fi networks and passwords
    • recently used Bluetooth accessories
    • VPN and APN settings

You can find the full article here:

iOS: Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1398

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

Wifi escapes iPod daily when idling?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.