Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mobile Device Support is not working on my PC. The installation continuously rolls back. I have Windows 8.0.

Hi folks,

Lately I have been having trememdous difficulty with iTunes. We have 5 iOS devices in our family, and have been trying to manage all of them (and finally figured it out) when suddenly the latest iTunes stopped running properly. I followed the instructions for wiping and reinstalling iTunes, but the Apple Mobile Device Support service doesn't seem to be working, and rolls back whenever it tries to install. This is very frustrating as I have a number of different reviews to write and have no way to connect my iOS devices to iTunes.

I am running a Windows 8 PC.

Jorge

iPod touch (5th generation), Windows 8, 64 Bits

Posted on Feb 11, 2014 11:52 AM

6 replies

Feb 11, 2014 11:58 AM in response to barkingspace

See Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

You could try downloading 7-Zip (free), or a free trial of WinRAR, and unpack the iTunesSetup.exe or iTunesSetup64.exe file into its components (put them in the root of C:\) then try installing them individually in alphabetical order (don't try to install SetupAdmin.exe or iCloud.msi). AMDS might not install right now, but you may get a more useful error message as to why not, and you might be able to run iTunes even if you can't update your devices at this stage.

Make sure you download a fresh copy of the installer as it was updated a few days ago.

tt2

Feb 11, 2014 12:06 PM in response to barkingspace

just go to support.microsoft.com/fix it - select unable to install or uninstall software or hardware - hit run on step 3 for the same process - then uninstall it that way - it will freeze towards the end - just quit it - relauch control panel and in the programs list the AMDS should be removed - also, be sure you disable your antivirus through the process - hope this helps and good luck!

Feb 26, 2015 5:40 AM in response to turingtest2

I am having the same issue. SONY VAIO pro, Windows 8.1 Pro. Had worse problems when iTunes version 12 came out. Then the whole iTunes installer rolled back. But I eventually fixed that by full uninstalls using control panel etc, reboots and individual installs of each .msi file from the common files folder etc.

Sadly not this time. I've tried the latest iTunes installer and yes iTunes 12.1.1.4 (64) installs and runs (plays music etc), but with no AMDS file. My laptop makes the chime when I plug in my iphones or ipad mini with the USB cable, but its not shown in explorer and iTunes shows the error message the software is not installed.

I've done several complete apple software deletes per apples support files, and multiple reinstalls but no good. I've re-run the installer in repair mode many times, and its says its completed, but not good either. PC restarts in-between every time too. Reg cleans run just in case as well - nada! Windows defender turned off as well.

I am really getting sick of this hassle with iTunes. Can someone tell me how to fix this? IMHO this software is a joke! If it cant run on a big name PC using Windows 8, then they have a real problem. And a quick google shows many people are having issues with this...

Feb 26, 2015 5:54 AM in response to mungus67

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The section Install missing components has advice on breaking down the iTunes installer into the individual .msi files which might prove useful if Apple Mobile Device Support won't install normally.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try theiTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for performance issues or compatibility with third party software.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there is backup and recovery advice elsewhere in the user tip.

tt2

Feb 26, 2015 7:23 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for cut and pasting the formula reply to this type of issue.

If you had read my message you will have seen I have already done all the things your reply mentioned, except for using the "older video cards" iTunes version. This should not be necessary as the previous version of iTunes 12 eventually worked.

Can you provide a more specific method?

Feb 26, 2015 7:47 AM in response to mungus67

The "for older video cards" version will probably work for you judging from other threads I've been involved in.

You can try a full tear down and then use the individual .msi files as you have done before. Did you get iTunes 12.1 installed before trying 12.1.1? These last two builds are the first full 64-bit versions of iTunes, previous 64-bit releases (including 12.0) have been 64-bit installers for mainly 32-bit code, particularly the main executable.The "for older video cards" version is similar to previous releases which may be why it works when the other versions won't.

Or you could try logging the installation to see if you can spot any errors that you can correct. Install AppleApplicationSupport.msi and, if relevant, AppleApplicationSupport64.msi first. The following commands log the install of AMDS for 32-bit, 64-bit or the new iTunes6464setup.exe versions. They assume the .msi is at the root of drive C though you could edit accordingly. If you want to type out the command the option switch in the middle is slash el star vee for verbose logging.

msiexec /i C:\AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi /l*v %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Log_AMDS.txt

msiexec /i C:\AppleMobileDeviceSupport64.msi /l*v %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Log_AMDS64.txt

msiexec /i C:\AppleMobileDeviceSupport6464.msi /l*v %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Log_AMDS6464.txt

You can triple-click a line to select all of it, then press Ctrl+C to copy, switch to the command box and click the icon at the top left of the window to access the paste menu.

The log files might provide further clues as to what is going wrong. I suggest using Notepad++ to review the logs. Look for words like "failed" in the log.

tt2

Apple Mobile Device Support is not working on my PC. The installation continuously rolls back. I have Windows 8.0.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.