Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System Overload (LPX) - more RAM or SSD?

I am an amateur producing EDM with Logic Pro X and after a couple of tracks, I get system overload quite often.

The machine is a MacBook Pro mid-2012 (non retina) with 500GB 5400rpm HDD, 4GB ram and i5 2.5ghz.

Therefore, I'm thinking about upgrading my mac, but I have a really tight budget after spending a lot of money on plugins for LPX,

so should I get a 256GB SSD or upgrade my RAM? And if I upgrade my ram, should I take out one stick and put an 8GB in for a total of 10GB, use a single 8gb stick or 2x4GB?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 11, 2014 12:03 PM

1 reply

Mar 25, 2014 2:43 PM in response to lolzoraz0

For what it is worth.. I just got hold of a WD VelociRaptor Duo Thunderbolt 2TB for $550 off of Amazon.. and the beast really flies...

It actually clocks faster than any of my Samsung SSDs.... coming in at 389GB/sec for reads and 383GB/sec for writes over Thunderbolt... and holds steady over repeated tests I have run today... and it's 2TB folks... which is great for storing and accessing large K5 libs...

Worth a look at imho....

System Overload (LPX) - more RAM or SSD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.