Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem reinstalling OSX on MBP, download only upgrades. That´s not what I was looking to do....

Needed a complete reinstall on my MBP, because of hickups etc. Bought and downloaded Mt.Lion. Problem is that this d.load **** only upgraded OSX, and that´s NOT what I needed. Soon as the software was installed, the DMG file disappeared from Apps folder. Wot2do??? I need a complete reinstall, overwrite and all. Utility will not allow me to do an erase or nothing..... Anyone?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Feb 11, 2014 12:14 PM

8 replies

Feb 11, 2014 3:51 PM in response to Kappy

Hi Kappy

Thanks for the feedback. So here's the thing:

Saving the dmg wasn't possible cuz mem.sticks like the one I had is configured to save files limited to 3,7gigs no matter how large the capacity (this was 16gigs). My net crashed so I had to go to a friends house for this.

Back in the day, (mind you I've worked on Macs since 1989 with music production), reinstalling was easy cuz you had the bloody discs. Now you can only download and upgrade. I need to wipe the disc clean, fresh installation to get past these hickups. Mt.Lion download won' let me, Utility won't let me, can't downgrade to the original Leopard osx.

I'm stuck..... Annoying to say the least. Still though, thanks Bro

Feb 11, 2014 3:56 PM in response to ilekham

Your flash drives are not formatted for Macs, hence the size limitation. Here's what you do:

Drive Partition and Format

1. Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.

2. After DU loads select your hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.

3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Apply button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Select the volume you just created (this is the sub-entry under the drive entry) from the left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

5. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Security button, check the button for Zero Data and click on OK to return to the Erase window.

6. Click on the Erase button. The format process can take up to several hours depending upon the drive size.

Feb 12, 2014 1:11 AM in response to Kappy

Hi again...

I appreciate the effort, but here´s the afforementioned dilemma....:

In Utilities everything is greyed out... There is no way of doing what you´re explaing.

I been struggling with this problem for a few days now, showing it to colleagues and fellow producers.

We´ve tried everything, called everyone. Two of them have the same problem as me.

Sure has been some stupid systemchanges even since the Lion upgrade .

The most annoying thing is that my MBP will not recognize the original discs and reinstall from there.

For us guys using Macs since way before HD-recording and the silly Apple frenzy and iProducts, this is f##king irritating. And Apple support are just a bunch of kids not knowing what they´re talking about. They sound baffled.

So, the Microsoft users could at least take a step up and go Mac... For us there is no where to go, haha

(Mavericks is out of the question by the way)

Anyway, again, thank you

L

Feb 12, 2014 9:32 PM in response to Kappy

When you buy a flash drive here in Norway/Europe they are formatted to MS dos (FAT), so that was correct.

Reformatted to MAC extended and the download is now saved to both flash and external disc.

Tried every booting tip, tried EVERY tip from youtube, "experts" on the phone...

Closest I got was an error message during an install from cmd-R etc boot.

The MBP won`t erase the disc so it stops after a few seconds.

Working on another machine now so this one`s going to the doctors.

Cheers

Problem reinstalling OSX on MBP, download only upgrades. That´s not what I was looking to do....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.