Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Emptying trash does not free up HD capacity

Hi there

I just posted a similar question about my SSD problem. 250gb total capacity. Only found 120gb in files/folders/apps. Should have 120-25gb free. But instead I have 25gb free (and SHRINKING).

Everytime I use the trash, and empty, there is no INCREASE in capacity. This does not make sense. PS: I have just had my SSD inspected by Genius Bar, and they created a new partition. I reloaded my files (etc) from timemachine, and same problem.

Ouch!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 11, 2014 12:31 PM

10 replies

Feb 12, 2014 12:03 AM in response to murraym23

murraym23,

log in as your administrative user. In Finder, press Command-Shift-U to open the Utilities folder, and run Terminal there. In the Terminal window, give it the following commands, one per line, pressing the Return key at the end of each line:

diskutil list

df -k /

sudo du -sm /Users/*

The last command will ask you for a password; give it your administrative user’s password. The password will not display as you type it in; this is a security measure.

Please include in your reply the full output from these commands.

Feb 12, 2014 5:23 AM in response to Melophage

Hi Melo

Here goes...

Last login: Wed Feb 12 08:00:28 on console

Murrays-MBP-Retina:~ murraymilne$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *251.0 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 250.1 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

/dev/disk1

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: Apple_partition_scheme *100.7 MB disk1

1: Apple_partition_map 32.3 KB disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS DiskDrill 100.7 MB disk1s2

Murrays-MBP-Retina:~ murraymilne$ df -k /

Filesystem 1024-blocks Used Available Capacity iused ifree %iused Mounted on

/dev/disk0s2 244277768 220264736 23757032 91% 55130182 5939258 90% /

Murrays-MBP-Retina:~ murraymilne$ sudo du -sm /Users/*

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss

or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your

typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:

1 /Users/Shared

23259 /Users/murraymilne

Murrays-MBP-Retina:~ murraymilne$

I am looking forward to your reply... since yesterdays post I moved 50-60gb from the hard drive, and NO REDUCTION in disk use. I am presently at 24gb.

Regards,

Murray

PS: How would DISKDRILL help me? What are cleverfiles?

Feb 12, 2014 6:00 PM in response to murraym23

murraym23,

the df (“disk free”) command is showing that 225.6 GB of your 250.1 GB Macintosh HD volume is being used, and that 23.26 GB of that 225.6 GB in use is found in your user account. Thus, the question is where the other 202.3 GB are being used. To answer that, log in as your administrative user and try the following command:

sudo du -sm /*

I don’t know what DiskDrill is, so I don’t know how it would help you. I don’t know what cleverfiles are.

Feb 12, 2014 6:25 PM in response to Melophage

Here is the reply...

Last login: Wed Feb 12 08:15:40 on ttys000

Murrays-MBP-Retina:~ murraymilne$ sudo du -sm /*

Password:

sudo du -sm /*

14392 /Applications

1 /Developer

53 /Incompatible Software

10481 /Library

0 /Network

1 /Resources

3995 /System

1 /User Guides And Information

23947 /Users

du: /Volumes/.DDPreviewDisk: No such file or directory

Does this help? (I wish I could see the answer!)

Feb 13, 2014 12:27 AM in response to murraym23

murraym23,

if you look at Alex.Chernenko’s most recent post in your other discussion (the bookmark in his post has a typo — he intended to point to his post here), he makes it clear what CleverFiles and Disk Drill are: CleverFiles is the organization that produces the Disk Drill app. It seems as though you have the Guaranteed Recovery feature of Disk Drill active, which is what is devouring your disk space. You probably had it active at the point when you made a Time Machine backup; when you last restored from Time Machine, you also restored the Guaranteed Recovery files of Disk Drill, which is why you still have so little free space. If you follow Alex’s advice in his post to Reset Storage in Guaranteed Recovery, you can then follow the instructions on this CleverFiles page to uninstall Disk Drill, if you no longer wish to use it.

Feb 13, 2014 4:50 AM in response to Alex.Chernenko

Thanks Alex!

This was the solution. I do not have pro edition but it worked. Two quick questions...

User uploaded file

If I uncheck "Enable Trash protection" then I will need to rely on traditional backups for restore. So this is option acts like an automatic backup? Also, the Recovery Vault is not available. I need to disable TRIM functionality?

Does this matter as long as I can use Guaranteed Recovery? Maybe Recovery Vault is part of the Pro package.

Thanks again,

You really came through!

Feb 13, 2014 1:05 PM in response to murraym23

Thanks, Melophage, and Alex. Your points were totally correct.

If I uncheck "Enable Trash protection" then I will need to rely on traditional backups for restore. So this is option acts like an automatic backup?

It's somewhat true. Disk Drill's Guaranteed Recovery monitors your Trash and keeps hidden copies of the deleted files. That's why you might see disk space not been emptied when you empty the Trash. You may reset the storage for this data protection method, and quickly gain your disk space back, OR you can configure it to keep less data protected. See the options at the above screenshot.

Also, the Recovery Vault is not available. I need to disable TRIM functionality?

Right. When TRIM is enabled, only Guaranteed Recovery can help you keep your data protected. Other recovery methods won't work. See here.

Does this matter as long as I can use Guaranteed Recovery? Maybe Recovery Vault is part of the Pro package.

Recovery Vault and Guaranteed Recovery are the two data protection and recovery methods available in Disk Drill Basic. And GR is superior to RV in the fact that the recovery is actually guaranteed and does not rely on whether the data was partially or completely overwritten as it's impossible to overwrite it in this case.

Thanks to everyone.

Emptying trash does not free up HD capacity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.