Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't delete junk mail

I have one piece of (filthy) junk mail that won't delete, no matter what I do. I keep marking it as unread, then putting it in Trash, then emptying the Trash. But Voila! it keeps coming back. How do I get rid of this???

OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 11, 2014 1:49 PM

19 replies

Apr 19, 2014 6:23 AM in response to mfrances82

Having the same problem with a POP account. In addition after reading all email and marking it Junk and/or deleting emails appropriately, it all came back as unread - junk and all. I tried the Rebuild option but it resulted in no change.

I deleted the account and re added it. Still the same behaviour. Then I deleted the account again and deleted the following files from the Library: "MailAccounts.plist", "com.apple.mail-shared.plist" and "com.apple.mail.plist.lockfile". Then added the account again. (Note: I also went to the server and deleted the spam (there was a lot). Now, 2 things are occuring:

1. The description name keeps changing from "vhnet" to "VHNET"
  2. After reading all email, the blue unread dot almost immediately returns one at a time.

What could cause this behaviour?

Note: I have several other accounts - only one other POP and 6 IMAP. These are acting as they should.

Mar 8, 2015 1:18 PM in response to lakeside1111

Your advice saved me from throwing my computer at the wall. 😝

You seem like a smarter person than me, so here's a question.....

Why would anyone choose to want their junk mail stored on a server, thus making it come back on their mailbox???

Part of the reason I switched almost every device to apple was for "User friendliness" and the cloud.

However user friendly some things can be with apple, their cloud with endless options and sub options have me going mad!!!!

To have 4 devices (Ipad2 iPad 3 iPhone 6 and Macbook Pro) all on the same "wavelength" gets harder with every "upgrade" with their respective OS!!!

Between pictures, iWork, Videos, mail, and other things that are supposed to be made easier, I find it harder just trying to manage the endless options to try to get what I want to travel between all my devices!!! Old school emailing attachments were much easier IMO. Every "upgrade" Apple puts out has so many bugs i.e. Yosemite crashed my VPN access, Airdrop works between Mac to iPhone, but not iPhone to Mac. Airplay won't stream anymore to my appleTVs.....

Get back to being better than the alternative apple!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 26, 2016 6:08 PM in response to Linc Davis

I am having a weird problem with email on my iPhone 6, iOS 9.2.1. I recently had to restore the phone and reconstruct my four POP email accounts. There is an apparent spam email (no sender, dated 1969) that shows up in the "all accounts" inbox, but not in any of the individual inboxes (or in my email accounts on my computer). When I try to delete it, it just comes right back. Any ideas?

The "all accounts" inbox also tells me that I have a number of unread emails, even though there are no unread ones in any of the four inboxes.

Thanks for any help - you have helped me in the past!

Apr 4, 2016 9:56 AM in response to mfrances82

I have a related problem--there's one piece of spam (among to hundreds I get every day) that I cannot move from the inbox. I'm using Mail and El Capitán (10.11.3). When I try to move this one item to the Junk mailbox or to the trash,I get : "The file “99932.emlx” couldn’t be opened because there is no such file." I never see a file with this name--but then there's Mail and its weirdness again, I guess. Sometimes it does move, but then it comes back.

Any ideas?

can't delete junk mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.