Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Does mid 2010 Macbook Pro have WiFi Problems?

My machine runs quite well on the WiFi at my gf's house, but her's is CONSIDERABLY slower; slow to load websites in general, and hangs up while streaming video (lately there's a jumpiness to the audio too).

Interestingly, when running a speed test (speedtest.net), both machines show similar results:

Ping: 25-32 ms, Download Speed: 10-16 Mbps

Her Macbook Pro is 15-inch Mid 2010, 2.66 GHz i7, 8GB RAMN, and running 10.6.8 (because she has 3rd party software she is scared will be unusable if she upgrades her OS).

My MacBook Pro is: 13-inch Late 2011, 2.8 GHz i7, 8GB ram, Mac OS 10.9.1

In the house we have just installed an Airport Time Capsule (ME177LL/A) - BUT, the basics of the problems predate the Airport Time Capsule. The problems exist whether she is connected to the network directly out of the Pace modem / router, or the Airport network. (My Macbook is quicker with the Airport, but not a huge difference.)

It sure seems like the issue is in her computer, not the network.

I'm guessing that means it's hardware,

or some glitchy stuff happening with her old OS,

or some things hung up in caches, etc (possibly also due to the older OS)

Does any diagnosis jump to anyone's mind(s)??

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

PS: When I see her again, I intned to troubleshoot using these tips from a post here at Apple DIscussions:, probably begining with a Hardware Test & SMC reset...

..Step by Step to fix your Mac

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 2.8 GHz i7, 8GB ram

Posted on Feb 11, 2014 2:40 PM

17 replies

Feb 11, 2014 3:19 PM in response to sdpg

First step is to try her computer with an Ethernet cable to her router and test the network performance, if that is OK then you can fault find the WiFi. Obviously if the Ethernet is slow and problamatic you wil need to fault find on her computer, perhaps not enough memory, low disk space, one application using all the cpu etc.

If it is WiFi only problem use a program such as WiFi Scanner (from the app store, others avaible, you could use your machine) and test for other WiFi networks interferning with the network at your girl friends. Also suspect bluetooth and anything that is on the same frequency as the WiFi

Although your computer works well, any interfernece may cause problems with your gf computer.

Feb 11, 2014 3:35 PM in response to rack0 tack0

Thanks.

OK, I'll test with Ethernet - but doesn't the computer process differently depending on whether the "internet" is coming in via Ethernet vs. WiFi?

I supposed at least there was a different piece of hardware involved in the MB depending on where it's getting the signal from, and that even if the MB checks out fine with the Ethernet, it stil could be a problem in then MB causing it to have issues with the WiFi. (?)

Good tip to check for interference - I will do, but I'm afraid that I left out a piece of information:

troubleshooting, I called the service provider & they scanned the modem/router & did find some interferenece. They switched the channel and said there no longer was any.

I'm a bit surprised that this kind of problem would affect one MB (hers), but not another. (But then again, it's not that infrequent that I'm suprised by technology...)

Feb 11, 2014 3:44 PM in response to sdpg

This is why I thought you'd tried wired already:

The problems exist whether she is connected to the network directly out of the Pace modem / router, or the Airport network.

Try turning off bluetooth or changing the wireless channel. Wifi can be a royal pain to troubleshoot. You'll see all kinds of suggestions on here. I also have a mid-2010 and ended up fixing my problem by changing the wifi cable internally. My symptoms were a little different though. I can tell you that if you're unable to track it down, this works well. It's a bandaid, but it solves the problem. I used this temporarily.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MTTJOY/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&p sc=1

Feb 11, 2014 3:46 PM in response to sdpg

There is different hardware for the two connections and it could be the WiFi in the computer that has a hardware fault, but if the ethernet is slow and problamatic we can forget about the wireless and look at other items in the computer.

Even if it only affects WiFi, your computer probabaly has a different wifi chip and may perform better under adverse conditions.

Feb 11, 2014 3:56 PM in response to rack0 tack0

RobRz;

Fair enough, I see that I was unclear. I meant to say whether connected to the WiFi signal coming out of either the Pace or the Aiport - (to me the fact that she has the same / similar problem rules out the AIrport as a source problem)

I hear you; another Rabbit Hole to go down!

Will try turning off Bluetooth.

Changing Wireless Channel of the modem/router you mean, yes? Will add that to the check list & probably run a dignostic like Rack0 suggested.

Thanks for the idea of the USB workaround. Good idea. Will hold on to that as Plan B or C.

rack0;

Copy that; I feel like my machine has always done better than hers in terms of picking up weak signals. That's why I thought the Aiprort's boosting of the signal would help. I'll post once we've checked performance with the Ethernet.

Thanks!!

Feb 11, 2014 4:04 PM in response to sdpg

You don't have both the Pace and Airport running as wireless networks, do you? That can cause problems by itself. If you're going to use the Airport as your router, you should disable the router functionality on the Pace device and only use it as a modem. You've got your own little broadcasting station going on right now if that's the case.

Feb 11, 2014 4:25 PM in response to BobRz

Actually, both ARE sending signals out. The Provider (Sonic.net) tech-support guy instructed me to configure the modem/router to "bridge" to the Airport. It just involved checking a box on the configure page on their website. After I did that, I did continute to see the original WiFi network & did successfully connect to it.

Hmmmmm...... I wonder if he left somethign out, or I misunderstood something, or he intended for both units to be putting out a signal. Again thogh, my computer works fine on either network, so if this is causing a problem, it's just a problem for her machine.

Feb 11, 2014 4:46 PM in response to sdpg

Normally you do a bridge when you've got a large area to cover. Then you put one on either end, cable those two, and you get a steady signal as you move around. It makes no sense to me at all to bridge two devices that are next to each other. I'm not familiar with that provider so I don't know what their equipment is, but anytime I've set up another router to replace the original, I've disabled the original and only used the modem portion. My guess is your tech didn't know how. If you can connect to either of them, I have to wonder which is handing out IP addresses. I guess it can work, it just doesn't seem to make any sense to do it that way. One problem you'll have is that if they're both handing out addresses and you connect to one and she to the other, you won't be able to see each other on the network. Not to mention if you've got a wireless printer or something.

All that said, when you get to her machine take a look at the "fan" icon that represents wireless strength and see how it is. Also make sure those 2 routers aren't both using the same channel. On the Airport, use Airport Utility. When it connects click the Airport picture then Edit in the popup window. Click the Wireless tab, then Wireless options. If they're both on the same channel you'll have problems. Some machines also seem to have issues connecting to the 5mhz band. You get around that by giving that band its own name then connecting to the other band. In other words if it's currently named Spot, you name the 5mhz band Spot 5mhz or something. It's in that same window.

Feb 11, 2014 5:09 PM in response to BobRz

Thanks again RobRz.

What you say makes sense.

It's a Pace 4111N-030

I only bought the Airport becuase I thought the Pace's WiFi signal was weak & that that was the source of our problem. It IS a stronger signal for my computer using the Airport, but it looks like there are other issues at play with my gf's computer.

At the moment, I'm leaning twds returning the AIrport. If we keep it, I'll look into disabling the modem's router function. Thanks for that observation.

Just so this thread doesn't go TOO far down the Airport road (this is not directed at you RobRz)-

To reiterate; her computer had issues BEFORE we added the Aiport to the system, while my computer performedd well.

So, my main goal remains to figure out why that is, begining with is the problem in her computer, or somethign to do with the WiFi (althought my gut feeling is that it's in her computer, since mine works so much better).

Barring any other thoughts / input, my next steps are to connect via Ethernet, see how here computer performs, and go from there.

Feb 11, 2014 5:21 PM in response to sdpg

It'll probably work just fine cabled. That's a totally different medium, but what do you do if it works well? Leave the cable connected?

MBP wifi can be a bear to troubleshoot. That's why I suggested that little USB dongle. It actually worked great, I just couldn't leave it alone. Anyone but a computer nerd would have been totally happy with it. That said, here's a starting point.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4628

One thing about the Airport is that you can hook up a hard drive to it and do automated backups via what Apple calls Time Machine. No one worries much about it until their hard drive crashes, then you see the frantic "Help! I've lost all my data" posts. I'm just saying it's not a bad thing to have, and I realize her problems started before you got it. Try the link and see how it goes. There are tons of posts on here for troubleshooting wireless, and it can get very involved. Everything from what I suggested to creating new locations, etc.

Feb 11, 2014 5:35 PM in response to BobRz

re the Ethernet; I'm guessing the same result as you, just figured it'd be "due diligence" to try it out.

And I'm guessing I'll need to try troubleshooting, beginning with

"Symptom: The Wi-Fi network seems slow"

and on to other stuff listed at

..Step by Step to fix your Mac

NOT my favorite way to spend time though, so I'm DEFINITELY considering the Dongle Option.

I've been abbreviating, but she actually has an Airportt Time Machine, and is planing on getting an iMac soon, so good point - I may advise she keep the Airportt Time Machine both for that wireless Time Machine backup feature, and the fact that her pre-exiisting WiFI WAS pretty weak in some parts of the house.

Thanks!

Feb 11, 2014 5:40 PM in response to sdpg

Yeah, a couple things if you're going to do that, which will definitely improve wireless in the house... you need to cable the two together and make sure they're on different channels.

On the dongle, if you go that route... they ship it with one of those mini-disks. Don't try to stick that thing in a Mac. Just go to the website and download the driver.

Why Does mid 2010 Macbook Pro have WiFi Problems?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.