Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wipe out mac book to then mimick my other mac book pro using time machine

Hello,

I gave my father a mac book a few years ago. I now have it back. I'd like to utilize it at another location so I would like to wipe it clean and then hook it up to my time machine back up and make it exactly like my other mac book pro. Do I need to disk to do that or can I just hook it up to my time machie after wiping out the hard drive. Thank You, Katie

MacBook Pro, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Feb 11, 2014 3:08 PM

1 reply

Feb 12, 2014 1:20 PM in response to Kmoraglia

Two other options are to use Migration Assistant or Target Disk Mode.

When you use Migration Assistant, it normally sets up a new account. Go to System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if a new account was setup. If so, log out and then log in using the new account. Check for what you are missing. If you find it, copy it to either the users Public folder or the hard drive/Users/Shared folder. While there, see if there is anything else. When complete, log out and log in the other user account and copy the data to your normal account. You can then delete the new account if desired.

Migration Assistant

Migration Assistant (2)

Migration Assistant – Tips and Tricks

or the Target Disk Mode.

Target Disc Mode

Wipe out mac book to then mimick my other mac book pro using time machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.