Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just bought an iPad. Wanted to use same password as MacBook. I live in Idaho, am in an RV in AZ. iPad says that's NOT my PW. Called home, daughter looked up, yes that's my PW. Changed it anyway because iPad wouldn't accept. Still didn't work. Used

work. Gave DOB as 'hint'. Was told that's NOT my DOB! I know my DOB. Can't use any apps without PW. Can't Facetime. Have no internet in RV. Have to bring iPad up to office for any wifi. Can get internet on Mac, not on iPad. Very frustrated. Tried to CALL Apple. Got someone in India who wouldn't say if he even works for Apple.

Posted on Feb 11, 2014 3:17 PM

7 replies

Feb 11, 2014 3:36 PM in response to Dorie53

Your post title starts with "Just bought an iPad."

Is the iPad second hand? It sure sounds like it is.

The previous owner must unlock the iPad before you can use it. This feature, known as Activation Lock, is described here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13695

If the previous owner does not unlock the iPad, the chances are you purchased a stolen iPad and it will never work - it will remain useless.

Feb 11, 2014 4:45 PM in response to Dorie53

I am guessing you are in the middle of setup.

Was the iPad completely blank except for "iPad" when you started?

You picked language, your country, then sign in to the wifi. Enable location service, or not.

Choose set up as new.

Now you are prompted to enter your apple ID and password.

Did you enter your Apple ID and password and immediately get an error message ?

What exactly was the message? My experience is, it doesn't just say "password incorrect".

Feb 11, 2014 5:27 PM in response to Dorie53

FORCE IPAD INTO RECOVERY MODE

1. Turn off iPad

2. Turn on computer and launch iTune (make sure you have the latest version of iTune)

3. Plug USB cable into computer's USB port

4. Hold Home button down and plug the other end of cable into docking port. Do not release button until you see picture of iTune and plug (very important)

5. Release Home button.

ON COMPUTER

6. iTune has detected iPad in recovery mode. You must restore this iPad before it can be used with iTune.

7. Select "Restore iPad"...

Note: Data will be lost

Feb 12, 2014 4:40 PM in response to lizdance40

I skipped doing the password since it wouldn't accept it. So all I could do was surf the net & check email. Couldn't do any apps. Wanted to do Facetime with daughter in Idaho (bought her a new iPad for C'mas). Today I decided to try a whole new password different from my MacBook, which someone in the RV park suggested I don't do. Tried to register to use Facetime but it says 'wrong password'. Maybe it's because I skipped that step upon initial set up when it said I was using the wrong one?

Just bought an iPad. Wanted to use same password as MacBook. I live in Idaho, am in an RV in AZ. iPad says that's NOT my PW. Called home, daughter looked up, yes that's my PW. Changed it anyway because iPad wouldn't accept. Still didn't work. Used

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.