Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I delete a page in a PDF with Maverick's Preview 7.0?

I can't seem to delete a separate page in a PDF using Maverick's Preview 7.0.

I can go get the sidebar to appear by going the View menu and clicking on "Table of Contents." I see the separate pages listed there, but when I click on an individual page, "delete" is grayed-out in the Edit menu and pressing on the delete key in the keyboard alone or in combination with option or command keys does nothing.

Please help.

Posted on Feb 11, 2014 3:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2014 3:15 PM

I figured it out! In case this is useful to anyone else: I just needed to go to the Edit menu and choose "Thumbnail." Once the list of pages is turned into Thumbnails, you can delete them.

Apple products are not as intuitive is they used to be.

25 replies

Apr 4, 2014 2:56 PM in response to Sniderman

Hmm, I'm not sure what happened, but yes, I tried going to the "Edit" dropdown and there is no thumbnail option.

Instead, when you're inside a PDF, you can access the thumbnail option by cllcking on the icon on the PDF in the upper-left corner. There should be a choice for "thumbnail." Once you click on it, it should leave a checkmark next to it. Then you should be able to select individual pages for deletion.

Apr 4, 2014 3:20 PM in response to Sniderman

Here's what I did (each step corresponds to one of the four screenshots below):

1. Opened PDF in Preview and clicked on icon in the upper-left corner.

2. Selected "Thumbnail" (so that there the checkmark moves from "Content Only" to "Thumbnail")

3. Step two should open a left column with all the thumbnail pages and you can select the page you want to delete (in the screenshot, I selected Page 2 and it turned the page number "2" blue).

4. Then go up to "Edit" and delect "Delete". That should delete the selected page.User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Oct 12, 2014 9:07 AM in response to TigerBrains

It is really a shame that Preview can't do this. The Merging of PDFs seems to work reasonably well, but this deleting pages is a real weakness.

Back in February I bought something called "PDF Toolset" from the Mac App Store for $0.99 (I think it was on sale - it is $1.99 today). It was an impulse buy for me but I had never used it until today. I dusted it off and it was simple, intuitive, and fast. A great solution to the problem at a price that is hard to beat. But I wish they'd improve this capability on Preview.

Oct 12, 2014 10:05 AM in response to Csound1

Csound1

I installed as the Delta app.

I just tried it again. Edit>Delete does show as a menu option, but nothing happens when I click on Delete despite the fact that I have a thumbnail highlighted. HOWEVER, I just had a thought and tried it and it worked.

I clicked on the "View" box, and instead of clicking "thumbnails", I instead clicked on "contact sheet." When I did that, instead of thumbnails in the sidebar and the full page showing in the primary window, the screen turns into a nothing but thumbnails. When I did that, I could click on a page, click Edit>Delete, and the page would delete.

Thanks for poking around on this. It caused me to get to a solution. I also think it should work in thumbnails view, but a workaround is better than it not working at all.

How can I delete a page in a PDF with Maverick's Preview 7.0?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.