Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my ipod got run over by a car (accident) does my 1 year warranty cover it?

my ipod got run over by a car (accident) does my 1 year warranty cover it ??????➖

iPod touch, iOS 7, 16 gb

Posted on Feb 11, 2014 3:41 PM

12 replies

Feb 13, 2014 6:34 AM in response to alejaoreo

I can relate. My 4th gen 32GB iPad was only a few months old when I forgot that I laid it on the trunk of my car when I drove off. Needles to say the cars and trucks had a field day with it – Destroyed. I thought I was out of luck and then a friend suggested that I call Apple and explain what happened. I did and as expected it didn’t qualify for a warranty repair. I then asked if they could offer me some sort of option. I was put on hold for a short time and the woman that I was speaking to came back and said I can purchase a Out Of Warranty replacement, or as they call it a OOW. The cost $300 about half of the original price. She gave me a case number and told me all I need to do is go to an Apple store, give them this case number and I can purchase a refurbished iPad for $300. Considering you can purchase a refurbished unit from Apple for $449 it’s not a big savings but it helps and from a business stand point it made me feel good about Apple. Well I went into the King of Prussia, Pa store and apparently they are more powerful than corporate. I started with a Genius, explained what happened and that I here to purchase a refurbished unit. Nope. Why I asked. Well we need all of the pieces he said. Remember I said it was destroyed. I told him no problem I’ll go to my car and get the other pieces. Now he didn’t know what to do so he passed me off to a technician. The tech also said he can’t accept this because it’s beyond a cost effective repair. Now I get a different reason why they won’t honor corporate decision. The tech then passed me off to the manager. Again I got stonewalled. Why, I don’t understand it was already approved by corporate. Now my experience turned from bad to insulting. The manager answered my question with a question “Did corporate see it?” Now things turned from bad to insulting to just plain dumb. The manager told me he had stringent requirements that he must follow in a case like this. I asked to see these requirements. I was denied, instead I was told that I would need to be an Apple employee to see this mysterious document. I then was told that if the class was crack it would be ok. Yet in a different statement he told me they could do it if the iPad was in three (3) pieces. Really, what can you salvage from an iPad that is in three pieces. I then asked him to sell me a 4th gen iPad. His reply we can’t do that it’s not available. I guess he’s never looked on the Apple website. I then asked for a copy of the service note that corporate created so I could accurately reflect the information. He refused. I guess this is one of those mysterious documents. I left empty handed with a bad taste for the Apple store, not the Apple product. It’s like going to a restaurant with a world class chef that is managed by someone with fast food experience. Considering this managers management experience is nothing more than a couple of years as a manager at Lowes and Bed Bath and Beyond, I guess I shouldn’t be surprised with my experience. With all this said, the answer to your question is yes you do have an option. For a slight savings corporate allow you to purchase a refurbished unit. Although when they say all you need to do is walk into a store to pick it up you might be better off asking for the option to purchase it online or have them contact the store to let them know you’re on your way. Otherwise you might have an experience that will cause you never to want to look at another Apple product again.

Feb 13, 2014 8:48 AM in response to LaserTest

A few clarifications and corrections:

- Unless you send in the device to Apple Support, they base their analysis solely their understanding of your description. So "corporate" did not make a "decision", an Apple phone technician gave you a preliminary diagnosis. Until an Apple technician actually examines the device, all statements as to what they can and will do are only preliminary.

- Apple reserves the right not to replace a unit if it's in multiple pieces. Quoting from their web page on the question:

If Apple determines that an iPad is not repairable, for example, if it has failed due catastrophic damage or the iPad has been disassembled into multiple pieces, then Out-of-Warranty Service is not available and the iPad will be returned. Please see Apple's Repair Terms And Conditions for further details.

so your iPad, if it was indeed in multiple pieces as you state, was rightly denied for the out-of-warranty replacement price. It's probable that had you shipped in the "destroyed" iPad, the service depot would also have denied a replacement.

- The store manager gave you the correct information; Apple Stores do not have fourth-generation iPads for sale. The online Apple Store from time to time offers refurbished units, but those are not available from the retail stores.

So while I can't be certain I understand from your long complaint exactly the situation and what you were told, it would appear that the Apple Store did exactly what company policy dictates, and you really have no grounds for complaint.

Regards.

Feb 13, 2014 11:31 AM in response to varjak paw

Unless you are a person of authority that was privy to the conversation that occurred between the Apple corporate technician, the supervisor and myself your statement is unjust and without merit. The technical note from the corporate technician states the damage that occurred AND grants me the ability to purchase a refurbished iPad for $300. This was done because the iPad was only 3 months old and the damage was beyond reasonable repair. This is why they were being kind enough to permit me to purchase a refurbished unit AT the Out Of Warranty price. I would also like to add that the manager of the Apple store that this occurred at DID acknowledge that they had these items in stock. The help that the corporate technician and her supervisor were offering is what makes for good customer service. I am simply sharing my experience so others can understand that even if they have a bad experience, say at a store. It should not be viewed as a complete representation of the Apple Corporation. As the saying goes you may find a bad apple in the bushel. If you are replying to my messages in an effort to be helpful to Apple, I will say your efforts have backfired.

Feb 13, 2014 11:46 AM in response to LaserTest

Apple's policy is clear; since your iPad was in pieces, you were not eligible for replacement at the out-of-warranty price, so what you were told at the store was completely correct. It was this "corporate technician" that was incorrect, either by mistake or by not understanding the extent of the damage which, lacking the iPad in hand to examine, may have been the case. If that technician or the supervisor had the power to grant an exception, that should have been in the case record and the Apple Store manager could have looked that up and seen the exception.

I would also like to add that the manager of the Apple store that this occurred at DID acknowledge that they had these items in stock.

As service stock, NOT for retail sale. Again, Apple has not sold at retail any fourth-generation iPad since the iPad Air was released.

And no, I'm not trying to be helpful to Apple. I have no interest in doing so. I'm trying to correctly inform others who read here so they know what Apple's policies really are and have their expectations set appropriately. I have no idea how your expectations got misset, but what you were told at the Apple Store was completely and entirely per Apple policy. Apple will, again, by policy not accept for out-of-warranty replacement any iPad that is broken into multiple pieces. Age and date of purchase is irrelevant.

End of discussion.

Feb 13, 2014 1:07 PM in response to LaserTest

LaserTest wrote:

If you are replying to my messages in an effort to be helpful to Apple, I will say your efforts have backfired.

Often, replies to posts such as yours are intended to put some balance into totally unreasonable thinking. Without this balance, these discussions would deteriorate into a meanlingless debacle, and be more than unhelpful to everyone. The idea of these discussions is to help you, not to help Apple.

Quite why you think Apple owe you a new iPad after you failed to take care of the one you had, I don't know. If I bought something off you, and then I broke it, would you give me a replacement - at your cost?

Feb 14, 2014 9:21 AM in response to varjak paw

If I may I would like to respond to varjak paw comment about the corporate tech being incorrect. As I mentioned prior, after I explained what occurred and the extent of the damage she (the tech) DID explain that the damage can’t be covered under warranty. NOW READ THIS ALSO. I then ask if there were any other options available to me. It was then that she placed me on hold and spoke with her supervisor to get permission for me to purchase a refurbished unit for $300. Before that I didn’t even know this was an option that was available to me. This was documented in the service note that she created. You say you’re not trying to help Apple with your comments and infer that you are not even employed by Apple yet you speak with definitive knowledge that the corporate personnel are incorrect. I would have to say that credentials are not sufficient to merit your statement.

Feb 14, 2014 9:21 AM in response to the fiend

The Friend – I would like to reply to your question. In short, yes I would provide you a replacement item at cost when the occasion is justified. In fact last Wednesday a customer of mine damaged an expensive item ($533 my cost) within his laser printer. I repaired his printer, ordered, paid for shipping, and replaced the damaged item for $533. So if you would think about it I lost money. So why did I do this. Because the cheap toner cartridge that he purchased was the cause for this damage. As a result of my generosity he discontinued purchasing product from my competitor and instead purchased my higher cost higher quality product. The profit that I received from that one sale was greater than what I would have made if I charged him the standard service fee. In addition there will be ongoing sales from this customer. This is not a new concept. For example the Edison Electric Light Company (you may have heard of the founder, Thomas Edison) would replace light bulbs for free when they would burn out. Why, because the big money for the company came from the sale of the electricity that was used to power the light bulbs. Delta will send you a free valve to fix your leaky shower. Why, to prevent you from replacing the leaky valve mechanism with a competitor’s product and to endear themselves to the customer. Gillette will give free razors out to get you hooked on their products. The Sony Play station is sold for less than what it cost to manufacture. This is the same with the Xerox Colorqube printer. They do this because these products are appliances that will incur ongoing expense to keep them going (video games, Solid Ink Cubes). The iPad is no different. The royalties that Apple gains from the software developers and the licensing rights for products that are used in the iPad are the real money makers. So to make a replacement iPad available to someone that had it for only 3 months before he accidently damaged it for only $150 less than what it would cost him to purchase, is more than reasonable. The corporate technician and supervisor that I originally spoke with understands that Apple has more to gain by extending this modest replacement price to me. The people that are on the front lines, that represent Apple, should be educated to understand this concept. If the manager that I dealt understood this, none of this would have occurred. As Apple is such an innovative company you would think that all of their management personnel understand this. Life is not black and white and humans do make mistakes. Leaders in the business world understand this and utilize it to its fullest. That’s why they are leaders.

Feb 14, 2014 9:36 AM in response to LaserTest

I've given you Apple's published policy on replacement of devices that are broken into multiple pieces. If you believe that you were promised something else by someone in authority who clearly and completely understood the situation, go back and whine at the Apple Store manager for following Apple policy. Or contact the supervisor who you believe granted the exception to Apple policy and arrange to ship the iPad pieces per that supervisor's instructions.

You may repond if you wish but I will read no further in this thread and will post no further replies since there is nothing more that can be said. There's no point in pursuing the matter further here, particularly since just want to argue with opinions stated by those who have no power to do anything about your situation, and further complaining about Apple policy will likely get your posts removed by the Communities Hosts.

Feb 14, 2014 11:16 AM in response to LaserTest

LaserTest, you have a compelling argument and I have nothing to add to it. I have been in your situation from both sides of the counter (thankfully not with Apple products mind you, but I've been there). The only thing I have to add is your talking to the wrong group. We're users like yourself, and have no control over Apple policy. I guess I would go to Contact Us (lower right corner of this page) and then to Feedback and leave your thoughts with Apple. I don't know that it will help or make a difference, but Apple corporate will hear the complaint. It's a moral victory if nothing else. Keep smiling, Cheers.

my ipod got run over by a car (accident) does my 1 year warranty cover it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.