Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Pro does not pass the startup grey screen. When I try to do a reinstall the computer doesn't even read the disk. I can't even boot in safe mode. I'm being told that it MAY be a motherboard issue, I'm just wondering has anyone else had this prob

I don't know what is wrong with my Mac. An authorized retailer can't pinpoint the issue.. Does Apple have a recall for motherboard failures? We have only had it for 2 years.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), Is there a recall on this? A1286

Posted on Feb 11, 2014 3:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2014 11:46 PM

MimiBrooks,

try booting your MacBook Pro into Recovery mode by holding down a Command key and the R key as it starts up. Once the Mac OS X Utilities menu appears, select Disk Utility. On the left-hand side of the Disk Utility window, select your internal disk’s boot partition (typically called “Macintosh HD”). On the right-hand side, press the Verify Disk button if it’s not greyed out; if it is greyed out, or if it reports that errors were found, press the Repair Disk button. Once the verification/repair is completed, exit Disk Utility and select Restart from the Apple menu to restart in normal mode. Does it get past the grey startup screen now?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2014 11:46 PM in response to MimiBrooks

MimiBrooks,

try booting your MacBook Pro into Recovery mode by holding down a Command key and the R key as it starts up. Once the Mac OS X Utilities menu appears, select Disk Utility. On the left-hand side of the Disk Utility window, select your internal disk’s boot partition (typically called “Macintosh HD”). On the right-hand side, press the Verify Disk button if it’s not greyed out; if it is greyed out, or if it reports that errors were found, press the Repair Disk button. Once the verification/repair is completed, exit Disk Utility and select Restart from the Apple menu to restart in normal mode. Does it get past the grey startup screen now?

My MacBook Pro does not pass the startup grey screen. When I try to do a reinstall the computer doesn't even read the disk. I can't even boot in safe mode. I'm being told that it MAY be a motherboard issue, I'm just wondering has anyone else had this prob

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.